Board index PBase Feature Requests suggestions

Feature Requests

suggestions

Request changes or modifications.
jorrit

suggestions

Post Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:43 pm

Hello there,

I am a new but satisfied customer of your service. Though I have some suggestions to make your service better very easily. I will presentate them quite blunt; please keep in mind that most of all I am very happy with PBase!!

- Make the navigation of all edit screens more intiutive and natural... it's a mess right now.
- Erase all HTML style tags (like FONT)... it overrules user's own CCS definitions.
- Use user's style sheets in the user's personal forums, profile page and the "recent" page. Pbase's style is horrible.
- sharpen images after resize theing

I am sure that a better and more accurate web design and style use will improve your business.

Good luck with your excellent concept!

Greetings from Holland.

Jorrit.

srijith

Re: suggestions

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:45 am

jorrit wrote:
- Make the navigation of all edit screens more intiutive and natural... it's a mess right now.
- Erase all HTML style tags (like FONT)... it overrules user's own CCS definitions.
- Use user's style sheets in the user's personal forums, profile page and the "recent" page. Pbase's style is horrible.
- sharpen images after resize theing

I am sure that a better and more accurate web design and style use will improve your business.

1. Actually the breadcrumbs you mentioned looks ok at gallery level. But when you view it at image level, the gallery parent structure is lost. People have pointed it to the pbase team earlier too.

2. Even if pbase uses FONT, you can easily override them in your own CSS. Ideally FONT should not be used, I agree.

3. Again, a frequently asked-for feature. Slug mentioned once that there is a reason why CSS has not been enabled in profile, though he did say that he forgot what it was :?

4. Yes, that would be great to have.

Indeed, presentation does play a big part in the success of a system like this. Frankly every time I go to the front page of pbase.com I am shocked at the sorry state of the design. It could be made so mch better with so little effort. A professional look drives in the point that the system is stable, that people have taken the pain to get everything correct. With a system as stable as pbase, it is indeed a sad thing that the layout does not reflect the state of the system.

shecodes

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:59 am

There have been a number of "contests" to redesign different websites using CSS. PBase could use a makeover. If nothing else, the forum could also use a facelift. :)

Dunno if Slug or Emily would want to participate in something like this.. but it would be fun. Sort of like csszengarden.

srijith

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:14 am

How I wish pbase team did something like that Sue, but the last time I checked it was not in the top of their to-do list :(

What pbase needs is
*) a complete layout change for the basic pbase.com system pages like front page, about, contact, news etc.
*) removing all font and other nasty(!) HTML codes and a move to pure CSS in user galleries. No tables too! The moment you remove tables, you will see amazing layout like those in zengarden within pbase
*) An upgraded forum, upgraded in all aspects :twisted: pbase team, take the hint.

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:18 am

noted.

agreed. lots of improvements needed in these areas.

fortunately as we get more help from people who can code (emily) improvements should come faster.

i've been slowly removing all the font tags.
will make a specific attack on them one day.

12 hours at the ISP last night.
installing a new webserver, trying to fix one whose RAM apparently burned up yesterday, replacing one of the switches with an all gigabit switch, and working on the tape backup system.

-slug

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:20 am

so what's wrong with the forum now?
only thing i can see it needs is good moderation system similar to slashdot where everyone has a little input but not too much.

srijith

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:26 am

slug wrote:so what's wrong with the forum now?
only thing i can see it needs is good moderation system similar to slashdot where everyone has a little input but not too much.

slug, please see PM

shecodes

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:37 am

slug wrote:so what's wrong with the forum now?

RSS Feed for the forum is available at http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=144548

This way I would be able to use my RSS reader to see which posts to look at.

twro

Post Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:45 pm

shecodes
Posted: 16 Jan 2004 02:37 am Post subject:
slug wrote:
so what's wrong with the forum now?

RSS Feed for the forum is available at http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=144548

This way I would be able to use my RSS reader to see which posts to look at.

Ok, I read a little about RSS and downloaded a reader. Works kind of nicely. Just how would you envision this being incorporated into PBase? How would it make the forums better? I can see some possibilities but I may be way off. I've only read about this RSS for about 20 min :) It looks like it could be built into the browser or, maybe replace the browser as we know it now. yes/no?

Terry

Board index PBase Feature Requests suggestions