Board index PBase Feature Requests New Way to Use Votes

Feature Requests

New Way to Use Votes

Request changes or modifications.
pstewart

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:58 pm

And I already explained to you why vote total ARE useful...to me at least.

And I already explained to you that knowing vote totals would not affect cheating at all. Again, folks who want to cheat will get as many votes as they can regardless. So knowing a number can't make them get more than they are able to get!

I have suggested this. I am done. If you wish to continue your !!!!!!-filled "anti-vote-access" posting, fine.

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:01 pm

I'll continue...you don't make any sense period. Your idea to do away with the time tested lists and use a meaningless private number is completely absurd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!:

An incredibly dumb and worthless solution to a problem that does not even exist.

It's all in your head stewart.

jsb

Popular Photos

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:57 am

What do the numbers after the file names in the Popular Photos selection mean? Is that the number of votes they received?

I think being able to look at how many votes my images receive would give me some indication of which had more appeal than others. I agree that 2 votes on an image (one from an artist and one from a drunk who stumbled into pbase) might not be useful but over time the staistics might be meaningful. At least as meaningful as general popularity (also determined by a random mix of artists and drunks).

minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:27 am

Not sure what you are talking about with the numbers behind the filenames.

I don't see any way to tell the exact number of votes.

BTW, Look at the comments and who they are made by when you review the pop galleries. Usually the good galleires are backed up with strong comments by strong people and not by drunks.

Drunk people did not vote all of those good galleries up the list. if they did smut would be everywhere or something like that.

pstewart

Re: Popular Photos

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:31 am

jsb wrote:What do the numbers after the file names in the Popular Photos selection mean? Is that the number of votes they received?

I would guess that is the case. I didn't know what you meant either, so I went to the popular photos lists and boy what an eye-opener! This cannot be working right. Here's why: My silly doilies fergodssake are in the ALL-TIME popular photos list, and they are showing 3 votes each. Even **I** didn't vote for any of the individual doily images! And I really can't imagine anyone else even LOOKING at all those doilies let alone voting for them! Did three people actually do that? Maybe. But if so, then here's the problem...

I have two extremely popular photos here that I know of from comments I've received. Both of these pics also were POTD winners at shutterbugs.biz. So I KNOW people must have been voting for those two, which have been here for a pretty long time. But these do not show up in all-time (only one I checked) pop photos but the 3-votes each doilies uploaded just a few days ago do! This means the system is flawed somehow. Did the old image votes get lost along the way when the pop photo gallery was redone? The most votes any pic has in the all-time pop photo list is 8! Just 8??? For that magnificent photo of the mts of Afghanistan! Just 8 votes??? And my silly doilies got 3 each and they are there along with Rob's great shot?!?!

No, this isn't working right. The numbers and facts here just don't make sense.

And, since it only takes 3 votes to make the all-time pop photo list, of course it's crammed full of "snapshots" of all sorts of uninteresting things only the gallery owner could love, and there are, again, long strings of the same person's pics. Every bit as bad as the 7-day gallery list...perhaps worse.

minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:56 pm

Blah,blah, blah, blah,blah, blah,blah,blah,blah, blah, blah!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!:

minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:04 pm

I thought you said you don't care about the lists STEWART. BUTTTTTTTT!! here you ggo again today with bogus banter on your photoshop filter gallery... You do take the cake.

Where the freak are you seeing these numbers. Post a screenshot or something. I think you are full of bologna.

And, if you get enough votes to make it high up the 7day list you can be assured theat you will arrive at the bottom of the all-time list in shorth orse.

minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:15 pm

I just looked through all of the galleries on the all-time list (about 700) I don't see your tablecloth ps thingies gallery there. I might have missed it but if it is there it is way down the list like it should be at this point in time. I looked twice.
Last edited by minoltaman on Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:18 pm

and that table cloth thingie galley is about 175 on the 90day list. Just about where it should be.

BTW....no where near all of the thumbs have a number after the file name. You can not tell the number of votes by the filename on the lists.

keiththomson

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:35 pm

I think they are talking about the popular photos pages rather than the gallery ones. On the photo pages it has a bracketed number beside each entry which looks like the number of votes that picture has recieved.....

minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:39 pm

Yeah, I guess so keith. Anyway, slug just turned that system on so it ain't gonna mean much for quite some time.

Good to see ya posting.

Cheers
Last edited by minoltaman on Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:41 pm

Just in case stewy missed it.....slug just kick started that system he says.

minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:47 pm

Looks like you and you ppls are at it again stewy. Got yourself dominating the early popular photos list with 30 dollie pics or so.

Yup you got four votes on each of them. I bet I can name the four people. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You and your ppls are relentless. Slug starts a new system a few days ago and already you have jet zoomed questionable galleries to the top of the board. I seem to remember something like this happening before. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't think your friends voting for all of your dollie pics is helping your rep any. Maybe you should tell them to back off for a while. :!: :!:

pstewart

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:03 pm

minoltaman wrote:Looks like you and you ppls are at it again stewy. Got yourself dominating the early popular photos list with 30 dollie pics or so. [...]I don't think your friends voting for all of your dollie pics is helping your rep any. Maybe you should tell them to back off for a while. :!: :!:

I have no clue who voted for my doily pics. As I said, *I* didn't even vote for them myself! (I think you need to slow down and actually read the posts you reply to, such as the one on photos vs. galleries, and now this.) And I never even mentioned on Inno that the new doily gallery existed.

I mentioned those doilies here as an example of what is wrong with the pop photo list. I don't think computer generated doilies should be anyone's favorites...lol!

Since Slug just restarted the pop photo system, I am afraid that all the old votes that images received BEFORE this restart were lost forever. We cannot vote again...the system won't allow it. But obviously all the old votes aren't counting, or the all-time pop photos wouldn't be cluttered with brand new Xmas pics and silly doilies with 3 or 4 votes each (by the way, yesterday my doilies had 3 votes each...now you say there are 4? Someone is playing jokes on me...lol!).

Is there some way to allow us to vote again for those images whose votes were all lost? And if they were NOT lost, then how else can anyone explain the low number for Rob's great Afghanistan pic, and the fact that my two most popular pics of all time are not there, just my recent silly doilies? There is only one logical conclusion...old votes for images got deleted in the restart. This is a real shame...could take a year for this to fix itself. Meanwhile, we look at Xmas snapshots and doilies!!! :(

minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:11 pm

How you know you had votes before?? now you are voting again.?? I thought you did'nt vote for your own gallery(s). OR care about this popular stuff. Why would you skew your totals by voting on your own stuff!!!!!!!!!! You are caught again. :!: :!: :!:

Sure worry about votes a lot huh??? WoW, almost everythread lately you post on is concerning the popular galleries.

If votes were lost votes were lost. It should have been one vote per image anyway. NO BIGGIE! Anything more than that would have been sorta deceptive. You are relly digging yourself a hole here.

You better get a great big shovel to dig yourself out of it with. here you can borrow one of mine.

You are overly obcessed with voting and the popular galleries. Before it was inno, now it is this stuff. Give it a rest.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase Feature Requests New Way to Use Votes