Board index PBase Show and Tell 535th Show & Tell Competition: Flower and leaf macros - WINNER

Show and Tell

535th Show & Tell Competition: Flower and leaf macros - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
kzaret

bopbop

Post Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:37 am

Greetings and best wishes for the holiday season. Two points to start:

First, a concern was raised last time that the same group of people keep winning each week. It may not be surprising, since the same relatively small group of people keep entering the contest each week. And some people may have a better sense of how to make images that resonate with other people. Given that most of us are not professionals, I probably speak for many that we are just glad to participate and receive comments or praise on our work.

Second, the images this week really ripped. It was tough to choose from among the many great entries, which conveys to me that choices can be somewhat arbitrary, not to diminish their excellence. I did my best to pick my favorite images and not focus on the names of the photographers. And my top choice is a newcomer to the forum!

Highly honorable mentions, in no order:

Arnie's glowing hosta:

Allen's water droplet:

Allen's tiny flowers:

Markus' sinuous:

Todd's small dry leaves:

Jola's macro fairy tale:

Margaret's sunflower seed pattern:

Robin's jagged leaf:

Flo's diaphanous daffodil:

Third place: Walter's pistil and stamens- technical perfection and esthetic beauty

Second place: Marisa's calla lily- depth, pastel colors, composition

(Let me interject that I feel perfectly comfortable choosing those photos for 2 and 3, even though they are from esteemed PBase photographers who have won multiple Show and Tell contests. I just like the pictures! On the other hand...)

First place goes to George Jr. "Bobbop", who uploaded his first forum entry in this week's contest. His picture really took me aback- I had a hard time figuring it out. I like the challenge of the view, trying to determine if the blurred region is background or foreground, and overall using the variegated leaves to make a composition and image that becomes more than the subject. Kudos to George Jr., and welcome to the forum!

allen_hart

Re: 535th Show & Tell Competition: Flower and leaf macros - WINNER

Post Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:48 am

Thanks for the honorable mentions.

Congratulations to all the winners.

I really like the winning shot. Great choice!

peterschmidtab

Post Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:02 am

congratulations to the winners. Thank you Ken for the HM and thanks to all who entered, I enjoyed perusing all the entries and wondering which would win.

mardoli

Post Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:46 am

Thank you for appreciating my picture, Ken and I fully agree with you about the winner. It's an intriguing and beautiful photo, with personality and sense of composition.
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

gillk

Post Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:07 pm

Congratulations to all the winners - love that winning shot and enjoyed all the lovely entries
Gill

amoxtli

Post Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:27 pm

Congratulations to the winners and all who participated. Really enjoyed the wide variety of images posted. thank you for Third Place.
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

mclew

Post Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:28 pm

Congratulations to the three winners, especially for George Jr.'s neat macro image. Compliments to all who entered...there were so many good takes on this subject! Thanks for the HM! And to Ken for trying to ignore the names of the entrants.

In contests that I have been fortunate to judge, I have extracted the images to a separate file on my computer with no names attached, a big job in past years when we had many more entrants. It helped me to have the semblance of an anonymous judging as I've seen in photo club competitions.

Margaret

bopbop

Post Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:07 am

Thanks for the Kudos. Here is what I sent to Ken before I figured out the usual protocol:

"Thanks for the choice. As I said on my FB page: "Take a look at the winners if you like flower photos. Some really nice stuff there. For some, recognition is always nice, but recognition by peers is nicer yet."
I hoped someone would see what I saw. There are quite a few very nice traditional images in the competition, but I hoped something a bit different would catch everyone's eyes.
I will not be the guy this week as I am leaving town for family and returning at what would be the end of the next competition and it is likely to get lost in my traveling.
Thanks again.
George"

I might add in looking back that the submissions are not all traditional. But I am impressed. When people compliment me and ask me why I do not sell my photos, I ask them if they will buy one and after the hemming and hawing, I then point out the 250K nature photographers in the USA alone that can do what I do. Too much goodness around. It would appear that a few hang out around here.
The weird dimensionality of my shot is what caused me to like it. It could be any variegated leaves if properly placed and I was trying to imagine some leaves in the foreground, parallel to the sensor with some in the background. When I saw the effect on my laptop I went back two days in a row looking for uneaten and unbrowned leaves to try to improve the effect. Some were as good, none better.

So second place it is all yours. I would have done one of my favorite subjects: 'Birds in Motion' or maybe 'Skyscape with Moon'

I've spent most of my energy on my website https://www.housleyphoto.com for the last few years (using rapidweaver-I cannot code) so maybe I should show up more.

robinlew

Post Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:56 am

Thank you for the HM. Congratulations to the winners.There were quite a few exceptional images in this contest.

mardoli

Post Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:10 am

I have been asked to run the next competition, since the winner cannot do it. It's a little difficult for me, but I might try to do it. Simply I don't know how.
Usually the winner receive an official mail from Pbase and has the availability of a special post where the winner has simply to add the new theme for the competition in the title and so on.
If I have not it, I don't know how to do.
Sorry for my messy explanation in English.
I hope you understood. Maybe Emily should send me a mail or I don't know what, Or else I canot organise a new competition.
Thank you
ImageImage
~Oscar Wilde~

amoxtli

Post Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:19 pm

mardoli wrote:I have been asked to run the next competition, since the winner cannot do it. It's a little difficult for me, but I might try to do it. Simply I don't know how.
Usually the winner receive an official mail from Pbase and has the availability of a special post where the winner has simply to add the new theme for the competition in the title and so on.
If I have not it, I don't know how to do.
Sorry for my messy explanation in English.
I hope you understood. Maybe Emily should send me a mail or I don't know what, Or else I canot organise a new competition.

Thank you

Hi Marisa,
This has happened several times unfortunately. The only way you can continue the competition with the automated format is to email Emily, so that she can set it so you can post as winner. if you post without doing this, the automated portion is lost and so are the statistics. I have done this several times before when the competition got stuck and usually Emily answers within a few days. Contact me if you have any questions. I hope we can keep the competition going.
Best,
Walter
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

mardoli

Post Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:26 pm

It's exactly what I meant to say, Walter. You have perfectly understood the situation.
In the meanwhile George, the winner, who could not hold this future competition, has written me by email, to my personal address, that he had already written twice to Emily, telling her to pass the role to me, sending me the necessary link and so on, you know the story.
So far Emily could not do it, it seems.
These are busy days also for me, but as soon as Emily sends me the necessary authorisation, I don't know how to call it, I''l post the new topic for the next competition.
It doesn't depend on me.
Best wishes to you and to everyone.
ImageImage
~Oscar Wilde~

kzaret

Post Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:12 pm

I wrote to Emily about this.

jolka

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:32 am

Congratulations to all the winners and thanks to Kens for the HM for me.

jolka

535th Show & Tell Competition: Flower and leaf macros - WINNER

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:34 am

bopbop wrote:
I would have done one of my favorite subjects: 'Birds in Motion' or maybe 'Skyscape with Moon'

Does this mean George has already suggested subjects of the next competition?

Next

Board index PBase Show and Tell 535th Show & Tell Competition: Flower and leaf macros - WINNER