Board index PBase News Dashboard and Comment Management

News

Dashboard and Comment Management

khunhans

Re: Dashboard and Comment Management

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:18 am

bobfloyd wrote:
milv wrote:Agree. I miss recent galleries. And bdw, I not need PAD, this should be optional!

It is optional. Got to "Dashboard (settings)" on the left side of the screen. On that settings screen there is Yes/No option for displaying the PAD gallery. You can turn it off by selection "No".

Very helpful, thanks, Bob. Now we are only missing the 'Recent..'
Hans

khunhans

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:24 am

emily wrote:As requested, we have added a link to your recent galleries on the dashboard. In the side navigation section, you can click My Galleries to get to your root gallery, or (recent) to get to your recent galleries.

Enjoy!
-Emily

Thanks I like it.
Hans

jkrnm5

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:19 am

enjayel wrote:
jkrnm5 wrote:Very appealing enhancement to Pbase. As infrequently as I find the time to view comments on my photography, I miss the ability to easily know when I've replied back to someone (even less frequently unfortunately) while having an indication that I've done so. A change in the color of the reply icon on the new page as a possible solution?

it does change colour, the "PM reply" icon becomes grayed out... it is a subtle change, but I expect it shouldn't take long to train the eye to see it..

We must be looking at two different things.

enjayel

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:16 pm

jkrnm5 wrote:
enjayel wrote:
jkrnm5 wrote:Very appealing enhancement to Pbase. As infrequently as I find the time to view comments on my photography, I miss the ability to easily know when I've replied back to someone (even less frequently unfortunately) while having an indication that I've done so. A change in the color of the reply icon on the new page as a possible solution?

it does change colour, the "PM reply" icon becomes grayed out... it is a subtle change, but I expect it shouldn't take long to train the eye to see it..

We must be looking at two different things.

Perhaps... this is what it looks like on my browser - http://www.pbase.com/enjayel/image/137967389/
but I also found a bug yesterday - there may be a browser issue:
enjayel wrote:
claeson wrote:Well, I can't see any difference at all. Would be much better if it changed completely to another colour.
As I've said earlier; green would be great. :mrgreen:

may have just found another bug - it seems the graying out may be dependent on cache - I'm on another computer at the moment, and only comments that I've pmailed from this computer are grayed out... I'll drop a note to Emily et al...
n

so, if you don't see the graying out, I would suggest sending a note to support with your browser/OS details..

claeson

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:02 am

enjayel wrote:
Perhaps... this is what it looks like on my browser - http://www.pbase.com/enjayel/image/137967389/
but I also found a bug yesterday - there may be a browser issue:
enjayel wrote:
claeson wrote:Well, I can't see any difference at all. Would be much better if it changed completely to another colour.
As I've said earlier; green would be great. :mrgreen:

may have just found another bug - it seems the graying out may be dependent on cache - I'm on another computer at the moment, and only comments that I've pmailed from this computer are grayed out... I'll drop a note to Emily et al...
n

so, if you don't see the graying out, I would suggest sending a note to support with your browser/OS details..

Thanks for the screen-shot example, it sure doesn't look like that on my computer. What OS/browser are You using?
I have Windows7, and I've tried Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome, none of them shows the "grayed-out" icon... :?

claeson

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:27 am

claeson wrote:

Thanks for the screen-shot example, it sure doesn't look like that on my computer. What OS/browser are You using?
I have Windows7, and I've tried Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome, none of them shows the "grayed-out" icon... :?

And it doesn't work on my Linux/Firefox laptop either...

enjayel

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:15 am

claeson wrote:And it doesn't work on my Linux/Firefox laptop either...

since my help request pointed out a possible issue with browser - the problem may resolve once they sort that out.
fyi.. I'm on Win7-64bit, FF3.6.xxx - not surprisingly, none of my previously replied PMs show up on IE9. A test PM using IE does not result in a change in colour .... seems there's more work to be done on that feature

hgharib

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:37 am

Will somebody sort this out asap; or at least put it back to as it was. Using this new comment management is a nightmare.

I am spending a lot of time moderating the comments (in Firefox browser). Sometimes the red line disappears and the eye appears. But most of the time the icon goes slightly grey but nothing else happens. Sometimes, you do all moderation and when you return to the page a little later, the comments are still unmoderated.

This new comment management has made the job harder and it has become a nightmare to moderate comments. What a carry on!

bobfloyd

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:58 pm

readschaad wrote:P.S. Perhaps, a prerequisite for being a "developer" on PBase should be that you MUST be a photographer too. :D

I don't think being a photographer has much to do with it, Fred. Looking through this thread I see folks who like it, hate it and couldn't care less about it. It is more about "use case" here than being a photographer. For the most part, I think those who like it are more flexible in their use case, those who hate it are more rigid in their use case (or have legit complaints about things that are gone) and those who couldn't care less have not had their use case impacted at all by this change.

This is pretty universal in the development world actually and it is impossible for any group of developers, no matter how big the group is or how much research they do, to get changes/improvements right the first time. And no matter what they do or how hard they try there will be a subset of users who don't view any change as an improvement.

oochappan

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:12 pm

bobfloyd wrote:to get changes/improvements right the first time. And no matter what they do or how hard they try there will be a subset of users who don't view any change as an improvement.

Indeed I applaud any development when it is an improvement (new edit page f.i.)
but
it will be hard for many (not only a subset) to see the improvement of this proposed dashboard now,
maybe an attempt to increase the speed of the site by imposed limiting facilities.

Indeed the majority don't even care anymore and when they find better, they are gone.
Still a lot to reconsider before you can call this decline a development, you don't have to be very clever to notice.

lwh

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:12 pm

Pbase,

AS a user for 9 years I now hate this site.

Please remove Dashboard and Comment Management.

Lewis

lwh

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:12 pm

AS a user for 9 years I now hate this site.

Please remove Dashboard and Comment Management.

Lewis

bobfloyd

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:18 pm

oochappan wrote:
bobfloyd wrote:to get changes/improvements right the first time. And no matter what they do or how hard they try there will be a subset of users who don't view any change as an improvement.

Indeed I applaud any development when it is an improvement (new edit page f.i.)
but
it will be hard for many (not only a subset) to see the improvement of this proposed dashboard now,
maybe an attempt to increase the speed of the site by imposed limiting facilities.

Indeed the majority don't even care anymore and when they find better, they are gone.
Still a lot to reconsider before you can call this decline a development, you don't have to be very clever to notice.

We have different views than because I consider this an improvement. I takes information off my screen that I don't need to see ever again unless I want to change it and puts more data on my screen that I do want to see. And it gives me control over what data actually does show up for me.

How is that a decline in any way, shape or form?

I have seen comments about some things that are missing (even added on myself) but so far the Pbase staff as been pretty responsive to those requests as far as I can see.

oochappan

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:14 pm

bobfloyd wrote: because I consider this an improvement. I takes information off my screen that I don't need to see ever again unless I want to change it and puts more data on my screen that I do want to see. And it gives me control over what data actually does show up for me.

Good for you but it will not silence or make it acceptable for those who see it as a provocative imposed limitation by calling them a subset.
See my remarks and proposals before to make it more useful and less imposing for all users.

bobfloyd

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Emily,

Part of folks discomfort seems to be where the "home" button takes them. I know what I am about suggest is a bit of work but perhaps make this configurable in our profile settings just you do with things like disabling right click>image save functions.

Bob

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News Dashboard and Comment Management