Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon kit lens upgrade?

Digital Cameras

Canon kit lens upgrade?

tinkettle

Canon kit lens upgrade?

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi, I am looking to upgrade my EOS500D 18-55 kit lens but am not sure what to buy. I already have a Tamron 70-300 zoom and would like a walk-about lens but do not want to compromise sharpness for zoom as per many of the superzooms available at the moment, so would be happy to have less zoom for higher quality sharper images. I have a budget of about GBP200-300 and would greatly appreciate any recommendations or suggestions.

Many thanks.
tk

sheila

Re: Canon kit lens upgrade?

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:24 pm

Nice work on your galleries, tk. Unfortunately, "high quality sharper images" do not generally come cheap (with a couple of exceptions) I'm afraid. With your budget, I would suggest that you look for a used Canon lens, such as the 24-105 f/4 L or if you can find one, the older Canon 28-70 f/2.8 L but even looking used, you would be lucky to find one within your budget. I borrowed the latter for a shoot from a friend and was so impressed with the quality and focal length, I ended up buying the newer 24-70 f2.8 L which is an excellent lens but out of your budget. As a "walkabout", this lens is rarely off my 5DII. With lenses, if you buy cheap, you end up buying twice - down the track - as you have found out with the kit lens. While I am sure there are folk who like the 18-55 and get wonderful images from it, there are legions who end up selling it and "upgrading". I would stress to those who are thinking of getting a new camera to not accept the deal with a "kit" lens and try to negotiate without a kit lens and spend the money on a better lens later. The lens which I have had the longest is the Canon 17-40 f/4 L and is reasonably priced but not really a walkabout - its more of a landscape lens.

You have quality images in your galleries (as you are not your average "snapper") and I feel that you would be disappointed with anything but the best! I have galleries dedicated to various cameras and lenses which may give you an idea of what you get for your money! There is a lot of debate about buying "L" lenses as they are more expensive than non-L. There is a reason - they are better and they hold their value. With the exception of the 24-70 f/2.8 L and the 70-200 f/4 L IS, I have had my current lenses from between 5 to 8 years and don't feel the need to buy another ...yet!

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

tinkettle

Re: Canon kit lens upgrade?

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:54 am

Thank you Sheila, I think you are right about buying lenses twice and I may well have gone down that route just to try and save a few pounds.
Really useful response and given me a few things to think about - thankyou very much. In light of that, I might hold out and save for a better lens.

tk.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon kit lens upgrade?