Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon Lenses vs Sigma for wedding photography

Digital Cameras

Canon Lenses vs Sigma for wedding photography

svogels

Canon Lenses vs Sigma for wedding photography

Post Mon May 24, 2010 8:15 pm

I have been using nothing but Canon lenses for wedding photography with my Canon 5D Mark II, but I was thinking about adding a Sigma lens but I'm hesitant on switching to another brand other than Canon as that's all I've ever used. I currently use the Canon 24-105L for most of my wedding shots. I am open for any suggestions anyone might have. I have my eye on the Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM as an all-around wedding lens, but I'm worried about the quality and sharpness. Thanks for any advice in advance !!

Steve

prinothcat

Re: Canon Lenses vs Sigma for wedding photography

Post Mon May 24, 2010 9:22 pm

My guess is that if your worried about/have doubts a lens, you may have already made your choice.... My understanding is that Sigma runs hot and cold, some are really good and some not so. I'm in your camp right now, only Nikon lenses in my kit.

svogels

Post Fri May 28, 2010 5:15 am

Thanks for your reply, does anyone else have any input as far as Sigma lenses go and which ones are good and which ones are not?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

svogels

Post Fri May 28, 2010 5:16 am

To be more specific, does anyone own the Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM? Maybe someone could give me some feedback on this lens?

Thanks!
Steve

heez10

Post Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:03 am

svogels wrote:To be more specific, does anyone own the Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM? Maybe someone could give me some feedback on this lens?

Thanks!
Steve

Close! I have the Sigma 18-200 and it is very good, as a reference, it consistently gets higher ratings than the Nikon 18-200. Good luck with your choice. I have other sigma lenses, the 55-200 and the 28-105. I particularly like the 55-200 when I don't meed the wide end for its lightness and Sharpness.

bug322

Post Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:07 pm

If u do weddings dont consider these Sigma's u better get a second camera with a good 80-200 Canon lens.
i would prefer a constant aperture .

And offcourse good picture quality isnt enough u want the best that's what the couple want also.

For me its only nikkor

And i would never buy a 10X zoom lens noway

dougj

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:12 am

Superzooms offer convenience in focal length range for sure, but the trade offs are usually in image quality, aperture size and perhaps AF, especially when compared to an L lens that is generally regarded as a good lens. I don't shoot weddings, but I occasionally shoot low light / indoors and I'd be reluctant to use a lens that is f/6.3 wide open, especially without a flash. Outdoors in daylight might be OK, but I assume you're also shooting indoors. Performance, client satisfaction and the budget are always the qualifiers.

You've probably checked lens review sites, I'll offer a few just in case you missed them.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/
This same site has various forums, including one for Canon lenses (Sigma on Canon bodies is discussed). It gets a bit rowdy, but there is some useful information and you can always post questions. This is a very active site, a search will generally turn up lots of posts. The Digital Pro forum has an occasional thread on what some wedding photogs carry & shoot, you may already be aware of this site and what others do.

The Digital Picture has side by side comparisons, sometimes the bodies are cropped sensor types, so FF corner performance is missing.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... &APIComp=2

One more
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showprod ... 007/cat/31

This doesn't answer your question, but I hope it helps.

beowolffe

Post Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:21 pm

I use both Sigma and Canon lenses and am very pleased with both. I don't think that you can do better than the lens that you're currently using. If you are intending to use your 5D MK II, then the Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM won't work with the full frame. You need to use a Sigma DG lens. If You're looking to extend the range you should consider the Canon 70-200 2.8 L. The Sigma 70-200 DG is also a good choice.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon Lenses vs Sigma for wedding photography