Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime

News

24-Sep Downtime

raiffeisen

Re: 24-Sep Downtime

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:30 pm

Fully agree. I use pbase for costumer service. Service offline for days is deadly for business. Maybe it´s not a big problem for a fotoamateur. Grandma can look at the pictures a few days later and still be happy.

But a professional customer is more than unhappy and bad performance kill the image of the professional user.

So: No problem with a higher charger and online garantie of 100%. I for myself have now to look for alternatives, that last blackout destroyed my image with 2 important customers. I use pbase (different sites) for about 10 customers, mainly because of the good statistics (which still don´t work after the crash), the simple upload an sequencing and the customisable (maybe a little bit complicated) design.

alois

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:20 pm

Update : 08-Oct-2009 16:27 UTC / 12:27 EST

Some of you have noticed that the amount of disk space your account or individual images are using is incorrect, showing higher usage than expected. These will all be fixed once the import of the remaining images is complete. Do not worry. We will not let these days of inaccurate numbers affect your average usage for the month of October.

If you have images that do not display or have missing sizes, we have scripts running to detect this and automatically fix it. Once you view such a page, that image should be fixed in roughly 2 minutes.

We know that some of you have some missing gallery structure. This is more difficult for us to detect, so please send an email to support@pbase.com if you encounter missing galleries / gallery structure. Once we are aware of a problem with your galleries, we will be able to take care of it right away.

The new hitcounts information is not ready yet. We are still working on it. When it is completed, we will let you know.

This information has been added to the original forum post and to http://www.pbase.com/message.html

ajuett

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:41 pm

I've been with PBase for 5 years. Personally, I'll stay with PBase for another 50 year (pending my own longevity!).

Downtime minor and major happens to everyone even in this day and age. Personal systems crash and hard drives fail, etc; reloading the OS and apps and files takes up to a few hours. I can only imagine the time it would take to restore a database like PBase has. People expect computers and the techs behind them to be instant, as users you should know better. There are so many examples in other fields/jobs which take time to fix/repair/replace things, I just won't get into it. To all the complainers: relax, get in or outside and take more photos.

To all who are working to get PBase at 100% again, thank you!

PS: I don't need a free month.
Pentax

alpiner

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Grandma here!!!!
Thoroughly agree with every word of Ajuett's.
I acknowledge that for people, like Raffeisen, who use PBase for business & professional purposes the recent downtime and current lack of statistics must be very damaging. Yes, disappointment, feeling a bit bereft, and perhaps a bit of grumpy frustration here & there has probably been the worst most of us have suffered. Most of us being....would he please note!....of all ages & genders...... who use it, I think, as enjoyable hobby. Perhaps he should have his his own website created for his business.
Thank you so much PBase for keeping us all so well informed recently, and for working so hard to restore the full service. It sounds as if you've had massive job on your hands.

antheaz

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:40 am

Thank you for the latest correspondence. I am pleased to hear that things are progressing well in your mammoth task to get the whole system back and running correctly. What I've learn't from the brief time you were 'off air' is that I've definitely developed an addiction (shock, horror!), I was getting severe withdrawal symptoms and missed PBASE so much! I used the down time to get out and do more photography! I am one of your newer members and speak just for myself, I am extremely happy and will not be going anywhere! :P

the_glebe

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:50 am

Any indication when the site and photo statistics will be working again?

phsan

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:00 am

emily wrote:Update : 08-Oct-2009 16:27 UTC / 12:27 EST
We know that some of you have some missing gallery structure. This is more difficult for us to detect, so please send an email to support@pbase.com if you encounter missing galleries / gallery structure. Once we are aware of a problem with your galleries, we will be able to take care of it right away.

... hmm, does that mean that we have to track and document our gallery structure in the future just in case another crash occurs? Doesn't sound too comfortable.

I do thank you for fully restoring my Venice galleries now - I'm relieved they eventually showed up again this morning. But now of course I'm going through my other 199 galleries trying to remember if anything not so obvious is still missing.

The good news for PBase is that I checked out a lot of other sharing sites meanwhile, but have found none so far mets my special needs - so I'll put my migration plans on hold for now until I know more about PBase's future plans offering better reliability and crash-protection.

Phil

bracciodiferro

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:57 am

Hey guys , i respect all your opinions,but i think that all troubles and the waiting time for 100% restoring site is excessive.
On my job,if anyone make this problems was fired the same day.
These are the rules in business...
Best,
Paolo

dennislaska

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:06 am

ajuett wrote:I've been with PBase for 5 years. Personally, I'll stay with PBase for another 50 year (pending my own longevity!).

Downtime minor and major happens to everyone even in this day and age. Personal systems crash and hard drives fail, etc; reloading the OS and apps and files takes up to a few hours. I can only imagine the time it would take to restore a database like PBase has. People expect computers and the techs behind them to be instant, as users you should know better. There are so many examples in other fields/jobs which take time to fix/repair/replace things, I just won't get into it. To all the complainers: relax, get in or outside and take more photos.

To all who are working to get PBase at 100% again, thank you!

PS: I don't need a free month.

To all the pbase "fanboys"

First I don't need to be told to "relax, get in or outside and take more photos."

Yes "Personal systems crash and hard drives fail, etc; reloading the OS and apps and files takes up to a few hours" But we are not talking Personal systems here. We are not talking free gmail mail being down for 4 hours. And yes there will be problems with everything but this data should of been backed up and back online within a few days at max.

The lack of communication was a major problem here.

Excuses and excuses are one thing but like bracciodiferro said, if this happened where I work also people would be looking for a new job.

And I don't need the free month too!

One of the complainers
One of "the complainers"

ajuett

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:13 pm

First I don't need to be told to "relax, get in or outside and take more photos."

You seem uptight, maybe you should take some advice and relax. Honestly though, it was a recommendation, not a demand.

Excuses and excuses are one thing but like bracciodiferro said, if this happened where I work also people would be looking for a new job.

I worked (yes, Very past tense) in IT as tech and admin for 8 years. People expect miracles and you need to know everything about everything. Then you are under a constant stress of users complaining, which doesn't help either. As for your workplace attitude; I would not work for any company in the first place if honest complications or mistakes meant you'd be fired on the spot.
Pentax

dennislaska

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:08 pm

ajuett wrote:
You seem uptight, maybe you should take some advice and relax.

Oh I should of checked first. I see you're Canadian :roll:

np

tsienni

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:41 pm

Speed seems to be much improved after the last downtime. I only speak for myself, other problems I might find more or less bearable, but the pervasive slowness while trying to connect to Pbase in the past was my only real gripe with this site.

So thanks for the news - it's real news for me this time around.

ajuett

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:21 pm

dennislaska wrote:
ajuett wrote:

np

So now you use my nationality as a way to reply?
Pentax

dennislaska

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:44 pm

ajuett wrote:
dennislaska wrote:
ajuett wrote:

np

So now you use my nationality as a way to reply?

Apparently. :roll: Mr "advice giver"

ajuett

Post Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:00 pm

dennislaska wrote:Apparently. :roll: Mr "advice giver"

You should end your childish responses now. (that is a probably better advice than my first comment!).
Pentax

PreviousNext

Board index PBase News 24-Sep Downtime