Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Considering a Sony

Digital Cameras

Considering a Sony

mdlempert

Considering a Sony

Post Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:58 pm

I've been looking for something to replace my Konica Minolta A2, which I've never really been happy with. I don't want to spend the money yet on what I really want, a Nikon DSLR, so I thought I'd find something for the interim. I looked at Nikon P90 and Canon G10, but then saw that the Sony A230L DSLR seems like a very good value. It can be had for $400 with kit lens.

What I am wondering, and I'm hoping someone out there is knowledgeable of this, is how well the older Minolta SLR lenses work with this camera. My old Minolta lenses are from my SRT days and I suspect not at all compatible with the A230. How can I tell what lenses are compatible and in what ways? AF, aperature control, etc.

Thanks much,
Mike L.

hiero

Re: Considering a Sony

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:08 pm

Hi Mike,

eveything you want to know is here I guess:

http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/faq.php

I believe lens compatibility has been high on the agenda of Sony designers, but this resource has the details.

Best,
Jeroen
Jeroen Bosman, glad to be on Pbase
http://www.pbase.com/hiero

parpho

Post Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:20 pm

Hey Mike,
I shot Minolta film cameras for years but did no go didgy SLR until the Sony Alpha 100 appeared, I already owned a Sony R1 which is a super camera for static stuff, last year I moved up to the A700. This is the best camera I have ever owned and I have had lots over the years. I own a Minolta 50 1.8, 200 2.8 and a newly arrived 500 8. All work superbly on the A 700 and I would expect no less from the rest of the clan.
I make a point of talking to everyone I see with a Sony SLR, so far no one has regrets.
I wore out the the shutter button on the A100, it had a little better than 60,000 frames on it and I figure the button must have been pressed at least a quarter of a million times. When I took it to my local dealer they said that they had no experience with this issue and Sony products, but if it were a Nikon or a Canon I was looking at 3-5 weeks an a "few" hundred dollars parts and labour. We had the part shipped here to Kingston and the store installed it. Down time 4 days cost $135.00.
If Sony knew how enthusiastic I am about there cameras I would be on the payroll.
Time to consider the A900.
Cheers,
Michael

mdlempert

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:45 am

Thanks Hiero, I checked it out and it looks like bad news for my old lenses. Mine were all bought in the 1970s for my SRT-102 and XE-7. I was hoping to at least be able to use my Rokkor 50mm 1.4

Still, used lenses on ebay look like they might be decent bargains.

mdlempert

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:49 am

Thank you parpho as well. The one I'm considering is the A320 which looks to be a bargain. Any thoughts on that model? I see there are no pictures from it yet in the pbase camera database.

parpho

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:37 am

I have met people with 200s, 300s, and 350s plus the 700 everyone is very happy. Don't know anything about the 320 as yet. I have already jumped in with both feet and would encourage you to do the same. The close the guys in the local Sony store use is to point out that eveyone knows Nikon is great, and then tell their customer that Sony makes Nikon's sensors. If we're good enough for Nikon we've got to be good enough for you.
Cheers,
M

mdlempert

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:48 am

I transposed numbers, sorry, I meant A230.

mdlempert

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:17 pm

hiero wrote:Hi Mike,

eveything you want to know is here I guess:

http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/faq.php

I believe lens compatibility has been high on the agenda of Sony designers, but this resource has the details.

Best,
Jeroen

Is it safe to assume that the lenses on the list will function fully? I don't want to end up buying something that needs manual focus, or even worse, manual stop down of the aperture.

Last question (maybe)... Is there a sacrifice in quality by using any of the old 35mm lenses?
Oops, one more... Any experience or opinions yet on the A230?

Thanks much.
Mike L.

heez10

Post Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:47 am

I am one of the happy ones, I own the A200 and it is great, I bought it with the 18-70 kit lens and added Sigmas 28-105, 55-200 and the most one recent which did a superb job for me in AZ, the 18-200.

madlights

Post Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:04 pm

I also used to shoot with Minolta and have a few lenses. I bought my DSLR (and lenses for it) before Sony offered one, or probably would have been tempted. The new micro four thirds system, I believe also offers adapters (without glass) for Minolta lenses (which are difficult to adapt because of lens to film plane distances with other types of cameras). I'm still discovering what is what with this M 4/3rds format, since it's still quite new. What I like about it is the size, and ability to adapt many lenses. Sony does make a nice line of cameras though and able to take many lenses.

mdlempert

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:57 pm

I finally pulled the trigger this week and bought the A200 after reading around and listening to advice from other users. I think it will be a good SLR entry for me. Cost was an issue, and the fact that I could get some nice glass on the cheap by means of old Minolta lenses was no small factor. I'm into the camera for a little over $300 and if I sell the kit lens, which I'm considering, the camera cost will be under the $300 mark. I'll be receiving it this week and will start testing lenses that I have. My lens line up is 35-105 f3.5-4.5; 50 f1.7 (I'd like more primes); 70-210 f4 beercan; and a 60-300 f4-5.6. I'd still like to get a 28 and maybe replace the 35-105 with a 24-105.

Thanks to all for your comments.

ericvision

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:09 pm

The Sony 18-70mm kit lens is much, much better than the Canon 18-55 in terms of image quality. Also the Minolta 70-300 4.5-5.6 if you can get one is miles ahead of the equivalent lenses from Canon or Sigma.

I say this having used all of the lenses I mention on Canon and Sony DSLRs :)

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Considering a Sony