Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Shutter speed question

Digital Cameras

Shutter speed question

soldier

Shutter speed question

Post Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:49 pm

I recently purchased a brand new Canon Camera 50D. I set the mode dial to AV (Aperture priority), than as the book say if I turn the main dial to change the aperture setting, my shutter speed will also change. My question is why is my shutter speed reading in whole numbers 4, 6, 8, 10, etc etc or sometimes it read 1"3 etc etc when I turn the main dial to change to different aperture reading.?

I know a little about shutter speed so I was looking for numbers such as 1/8000, 1/6400, 1/5000 but instead getting those numbers above. I'm testing my new camera in my family room with the windows open to get good outside lighing. It's not really dark in my family room.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

prinothcat

Re: Shutter speed question

Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:55 am

I believe you are seeing the bottom half of the fractional shutter speed. Thus 4 =1/4, 6 = 1/6 etc. 1"6, i believe to be a whole second and the fraction thus 1.6 sec or something similar. The reason your shutter speed is changing, in Av (aperture priority) mode, is because you are changing the the amount of light allowed in through the diaphragm. Av setting means you have control over the aperture setting, with the dial the camera does the shutter. Tv (TIme or shutter priority) means you control the shutter speed and the camera adjusts the aperture, Program means the camera does it all. M is full manual, you set both aperture and shutter. I'm basing this on what I remember from using a Canon A-1 along time ago, and on my Nikon. The principles are the same, the exact terminology may be different. When in doubt the manual, though obtuse in many cases, will lead you to the right info eventually.

In order to get those shutter speeds up to where you get usable results, the ISO will probably need to be adjusted upwards, just as one used faster film in the past.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Shutter speed question