Board index Equipment Digital Cameras First dSLR? Please Help/Advise!

Digital Cameras

First dSLR? Please Help/Advise!

clamp_navy

First dSLR? Please Help/Advise!

Post Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:46 pm

I have gone through 3 or 4 digital point-and-shoot cameras over 4 years, but I have never really been satisfied with any of them; even when I manually configure them. I am looking to invest in a dSLR for the first time but I have no experience with dSLR at all, so I need something really simple or a really good dSLR user guide. I am willing to initially invest up to $600-$700, preferably with lens cost included. In a few years I will be willing to increase my investment further.

I have read the Nikon D40 or D60 are good entry level dSLRs. Or even Canon Digital Rebel XS or XSi. Mostly, I take pictures of still scenes, i.e. scenery, nature, landscapes, buildings, etc…
In a different post I read someone recommend a Panasonic G1.

Or is a dSLR not a good idea?

I welcome ANY & ALL advice, tips, info. Thanks

heez10

Re: First dSLR? Please Help/Advise!

Post Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:41 am

I recomend you go with the Sony A200, easy to use, excellent quality, stabilization is in the camera not in the lenses so these are more affordable, you'll get your camera and two lenses well within your budget. I bought mine in Jan. 2009 after using P&S for four years and I am delighted. Good luck! Hernan http://www.pbase.com/heez10/april_2009_buds

sean_passingham

Post Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:44 am

I bought my first dslr, an Olympus, about 18 months ago and from that experience I'll share a couple things I learned on the way.
1. I wouldn't recommend buying a "starter" camera if you "willing" to buy a different one later. I did that thinking I would/could afford a better, more expensive camera later and all I accomplished was wasting money on that first dslr when I upgraded.
2. There are a lot of different brands on the market, so do your homework. Best case scenario is you're able to find someone who will allow you to "demo" theirs. I was lucky enough to work with a fellow who had a Canon 40D which he let me use (after I already bought the Olympus) for a few days. I was very happy with the results and what I learned along the way.
3. Don't get so caught up in megapixels, personally I would sacrifice mp to save a few hundred dollars if possible. But maybe that's just me.
4. Buy from a reputable retailer. I've had nothing but great success in my dealings with Adorama, my friend from work likes Beach and I've nothing but good things about B&H. IF A DEAL SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS!
5. Don't be afraid to buy used, at least if you're buying it from a reputable retailer. Or try eBay, I got a fantastic deal on a Tamron 28-300 there last month.
6. Changing lens is a pain in the butt. Of course you'll be changing lenses at some point, but I thought it was a pain when I had to stop what I was doing and switch out lenses in order to get the shot. My "walkaround" lens is a 28-300, which gives me a very nice range in which to work.
7. Do your homework. There's a reason a Nikon and Canon are the most popular brands!
8. Ultimately it's up to you, it's what you like, makes you happy and gives you the best results.

I hope this helps. Have fun! :D

amoxtli

Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:38 am

Besides the reasons given above, why not go to a photo store and try out the cameras in your hands and see how they feel. There's a lot be said for ergonomics. You can still buy on-line, and if you do Adorama and B&H are your best choices. Good luck.
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

clamp_navy

Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Thanks for all of the advice.
But mostly the decision is between a Nikon D40 or one of the Canon Rebels.

What is important for me is ease of use (or something I can learn with a good guide) and picture quality.
Based on the below list is it better to get one of the cheaper ones and another lenses or one of the more expensive ones and the kit lens?
I could spend up to $800 or MAYBE $900+ if it is really worth it.

Here is what I am looking at:

For $417 (new) I could get a:
Nikon D40 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens

For $560 (new) I could get:
Nikon D40 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera
with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX and 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens

Canon 300D Digital Rebel 6.3mp with 18-55mm Lens.
$350-$600 (used)

Canon 350D Digital Rebel XT 8MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lens
$396 (used) $450 (new)

Canon 400D Digital Rebel XTi 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens
$425 (used)

Canon 450D Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black)
$700 (new)

Canon Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
$500 (new)

$900 (new)
Canon EOS 30D 8.2MP Digital SLR Camera with EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens
or
for $690 (new) or $520 (used) for the Canon EOS 30D {body only}

sean_passingham

Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:31 pm

I don't know anything about Nikon so I'll leave that alone, but I do own a Canon so maybe I can help with that part.

My first reaction was to jump on the 30D with the 28-135 IS lens, that's a nice lens. After a little thought...How about a Rebel xt body with the 28-135 IS lens? That should save you some money on the body(XT vs. 30D) and allow you to get the 28-135 IS lens for what I would think would be less than the 30C package you've shown. I've owned an 18-55, although a decent lens it sure doesn't provide much for zoom, it is quite limited. And like amoxtli said go to a store and demo something once you narrow down your choices.

Have fun :D

helenoster

Post Mon May 04, 2009 12:02 pm

sean_passingham wrote:.......Buy from a reputable retailer. I've had nothing but great success in my dealings with Adorama, ....... IF A DEAL SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS!

....and ensure that you check the feedback at http://www.resellerratings.com/store on any company that you don't know well.

amoxtli wrote: You can still buy on-line, and if you do Adorama and B&H are your best choices. Good luck.

Thanks for the recommendation for Adorama Camera - very much appreciated - but if you ever have a query or concern regarding an order from Adorama Camera - or AdoramaPix - please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
http://www.adorama.com

imadkhan

Post Wed May 06, 2009 7:37 am

My DSLR (40D) was my first new camera. I have always bought used or refurbished cameras, so I would suggest that you do the same. Buy a used body and save money to buy good lenses.

A good start may be the EOS 1000D it lacks a lot of features from the higher end cameras but is a good stepping stone. Buy lenses - good ones where possible and you will never be disappointed with your camera.
INK

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras First dSLR? Please Help/Advise!