Board index Equipment Digital Cameras tripod recommendations

Digital Cameras

tripod recommendations

jasonderck

tripod recommendations

Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:52 am

i'm in the market for a new tripod and a quick release head. i do a lot of night photography, so i'm looking for something super-sturdy, but also able to go low to the ground (six inches or less above the ground.

anyone have anything they've bought/used and loved?

garyjcarr

Re: tripod recommendations

Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:01 pm

I just bought a 4439 Manfred 190XB / 804RC2 for $209.99 Canadian. I love it. It's solid, quick release and has 3 arms for swivel, up/ down (I'm getting into panoramas as well) and it will lower right to the ground.

hiero

Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi Jason,

I can recommend this light and very sturdy Feisol:
http://www.feisol.net/feisol-foursection-tripod-ct3402-with-tripod-p-27.html

It is very well built and once you get the hang of it the twist and turn mechanism of the legs is quite nice. The legs can be streched out almost horizontal and alternatively you can attach the centre column upside down so as to get the camera hanging from your tripod right down to the ground.

I bought a novoflex classic ball and quick release plate to go with it, but you can work with any head you like of course.

Best,
Jeroen
Jeroen Bosman, glad to be on Pbase
http://www.pbase.com/hiero

imadkhan

Post Wed May 06, 2009 7:44 am

I started off buying a cheapo at the local store and soon regreted it. Then came the Velbon Sherpa 600R with a pan & tilt head, good choice but at times a little unsteady in windy conditions - probably because my lenses are heavy!

I recently purchased a Manfrotto 190XB which is more to my liking. Sturdy as hell.

Heavy is better in my opinion! Haven't tried Carbon fibre tripods yet so can't say.
INK

romanvatr

Post Thu May 07, 2009 10:29 am

Hello
It's depend on the lenses you have and the usage of camera.
I'm using carbon Gitzo tripod GT2540L because of it's compact size in closed state, big height, small waight and solid construction and Zitzo head.
But it's only for lenses up to 200 mm according to vendor declaration. I'm using 500 mm lenses with 1,5 crop camera and found that even if camera mounted on Zitzo systematic tripod you will not receive a real sharp picture without release cable and mirror-up function of camera. If both are used and you have 3-4 sec to keep camera without movement to make picture both tripod are equal.
It's just my point of view.

mikehardly

Post Mon May 25, 2009 8:52 am

Hi This is very nice site,I appreciate the concern which is been rose. The things need to be sorted out because it’s not about the individual but it can be with everyone.

realestate

halesr

Post Mon May 25, 2009 12:08 pm

I puschased the Manfrotto 458B NEOTEC PRO Mount-Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Action Ball Head. And I think they are CRAP. I have nothing good to say about them. They were recomended as heavy duty for 70-200mm lens with 2X extender. They do not hold the lens solidly in place.

I would love to have something stable and lighter in weight. BTW, they were not cheap, but I do not find that this tripod and ball head function well at all.

Rene

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras tripod recommendations