Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Extended warranties

Digital Cameras

Extended warranties

toosnvetts

Extended warranties

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:26 pm

How do you guys feel about this. I am normally about 100% opposed to it for for 99% of the stuff I buy. I did buy one from my local camera shop for my wife's Canon SD1000 and the shutter failed. It paid for shipping and whatever else, didn't cost a penny. I have also bought a Canon Rebel and various lenses with a warranty. I did not buy it for my 1D Mark3. I have had no problems with my higher end stuff. I am planning to buy a Canon 500 mm 4L ISM lens and I know it will be touted. How do other Canon users handle this? I'm sure it will be in the neighborhood of $500 US for a 2-3 year warranty.

Okay, while I'm here, my shop offered me, slipped me a piece of paper in privacy, LOL, a price of $7000 US for the 500 mm. I am seeing them for $5800 from B&H and other reputable retailers with free shipping! What would you do? I am not going to get in a hurry now. This is the final lens I would like to have for some time and I can afford to wait. The ecomony is floundering as well. Any input appreciated here!

dougj

Re: Extended warranties

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:14 pm

I've passed on extended warranties and have not regretted it, although now living in Singapore these are not available so it's a forced savings, yet I haven't had problems with bodies or lenses. This topic is raised periodically on another photography forum I participate in, the general consensus seems to be to avoid the additional expense, although there are situations such as with your SD1000 that it was worthwhile. The companies that offer the extended warranties manage to cover the repair costs of items, their overhead and produce a profit in the process. I think the risk of product problems beyond the manufacturer's warranty period is lower with high-end items.

Last year I wanted a Canon 300mm f/2.8 lens and the local prices were nothing short of obscene IMO, primarily because they consider it to be a specialty item and they can charge what they want. B&H has a great reputation and good prices, so l bought the lens from them and saved about $1,200, including the international shipping and various handling charges. The purchase and shipping of this particular lens went very smoothly and I'm pleased with B&H & the lens. I like to support local brick & mortar shops, but the price difference in this case was significant, my local shop knows I did this and how much I saved. This will put some pressure on them to price some of their items more realistically. I hope this helps, and just my 2 cents.

toosnvetts

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:50 am

Thanks, Doug. Yes, it does help. My shop has always been very fair and competitive with prices but I think you are right about them considering this particular lens a "specialty". I fully intend to let them know my plans because I do like them, just not that much! LOL

dougj

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:03 am

Good luck with your lens purchase, I've got my eye on that one...

toosnvetts

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:44 am

My wife says it's the last! I hope she's right! :? LOL

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Extended warranties