Board index Equipment Digital Cameras In need of the pbase experts!

Digital Cameras

In need of the pbase experts!

chaosphotography

In need of the pbase experts!

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:15 am

K here it is guys and gals, Tax return season one purchase... I have the 30d right now with the 28-135mm IS lens and some other ok lenses. I want to upgrade with my tax return, What would be my best route?Buy a new camera body, Canon 5d Mark 1 not the mark II I wish! The 50d or finally keep my 30d and just invest in a decent IS lens, such as 100-400mm IS or the 70-200MM IS lens. If it helps I normally short fashion, auto shows and some sports. Thank you!!! Please help!

funwithlight

Re: In need of the pbase experts!

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:53 am

not an expert, but i'll throw in some pennies:

I'd keep the 30D and invest in a prime 50 mm 1.8/1.4...or 35 mm 1.4..........or you can get a 24-70 2.8 :P

If you get a 5D, get a 50 mm 1.8 with it. If you like zooming with your feet :D

( I can't wait till tax returns come too...The government owes me about 6,000,00 which I'll be plunking down for student loans :()

dougj

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:23 am

What do you see as the limitations in your photography today and where do you want to go? The 30D is a very capable camera, and the 28-135 is an OK lens for general shooting, but it is limited. I take it you're not please with your other lenses. Do you have an external flash?

I'm mostly with Funwithlight on this, you may get more value out of glass (and a flash). What type of sport shooting do you want to do? The focal length ranges and apertures required vary considerably depending on the sport type and where you shoot from. I've only done a little fashion shooting, but I've used a 70-200mm for runways and then a 'normal' lens (~ 50mm) for portrait type shots. A 50mm, or the 28-135mm is about right for auto shows, with an external flash. There'll probably be some more folks that contribute with ideas and suggestions.

chaosphotography

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:50 pm

Thanks for your replies! I do have a flash, i am using the 580ex. Its not that I am unhappy with anything, but I do want to upgrade. The other lenses I have are the standard 18-55 and 70-300 non IS and then I do have the 50mm 1.8. Which I use often, But I would like to upgrade to the next level but I am not sure whether to upgrade the camera body or a really good lens.. Thank you!

dang

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:01 pm

dssphotography wrote:Thanks for your replies! I do have a flash, i am using the 580ex. Its not that I am unhappy with anything, but I do want to upgrade. The other lenses I have are the standard 18-55 and 70-300 non IS and then I do have the 50mm 1.8. Which I use often, But I would like to upgrade to the next level but I am not sure whether to upgrade the camera body or a really good lens.. Thank you!

I agree with the previous posters. Regardless of which body you have, you'll never get the best from it without proper lenses. Quality lenses can last a life time, but bodies become outdated every couple of years. If you can afford it, go for "L", and don't look back. You'll see a nice improvement over what you can produce now.

chaosphotography

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:19 pm

Great, Thank you dang!

dougj

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:13 am

Agreed, I suggest you look at better lenses. The 70-200 f/4L IS (latest version of this series) is probably the best tele-zoom Canon makes today, and worth consideration if this focal length works for you. The updated 70-300 IS USM is also a very good lens. The 5D is a consideration if you want to go to full frame, but you'll need to add a new lens or 2 with this camera. Good luck with whatever you choose!

chaosphotography

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:19 am

I totally agree doug and thats my worry. I have this money right now to buy one product, and I know If i buy the 5d then I have to buy lenses as well. I think im going to focus on so good lenses instead. Thank you everyone, this is why I ask the experts!

hiero

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:35 pm

In a genereal sense I agree with the other posters advising to invest in glass when you have a 30D. However, if you're doing as you say fashion and auto shows, that will probably be inside, with sub optimal light and with fashion even moving subjects. Now for that a 5DII and good fast lens (85 1.8 is not very expensive) is my advise, because with the 5DII you can easily shoot at ISO 3200 without risking too noisy images. After that, start saving for more glass. It all depends on the balance in your usage. If you really want to do sports as well, the 50D is the more capable camera allowing faster shutter speeds. If you want the best of both worlds, high ISO shooting and a fast shutter, perhaps you have to swith to Nikon, and buy the D700. If you can postpone the wish for a new camera body, I'd suggest to buy the Canon 50/1.4 or Sigma 50/1.4 for your fashion/car work and the 70-200 (IS version, f/4 or f/2.8 if you can afford it). Have a look at you car images to see the average focal length used. It might come out that you need a wider lens for that (24 or 35 mm). Cheers, Jeroen
Last edited by hiero on Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeroen Bosman, glad to be on Pbase
http://www.pbase.com/hiero

chaosphotography

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:02 am

Thanks Hiero!! I ended up purchasing the 5d mark I and I am very happy. I am using the 28-135mm lens right now, But I really want to invest in the 70-200mm F/4. Do you think thats a good investment for my camera? Thank you!! Ps I am keeping my 30d still as well. I cant let her go! lol

nelu_goia

Post Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Hello all,
Tax season is here, in Canada, too. I owe about $2300 to the Government. My question is which lens should I sell?:)
Gosh, you guys really have tough problems to think about!:)
Cheers:)
Nelu

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras In need of the pbase experts!