Board index Equipment Digital Cameras New Nikon 14 MP D400 may be coming...

Digital Cameras

New Nikon 14 MP D400 may be coming...

andersonrm

Re: New Nikon 14 MP D400 may be coming...

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:33 am

General feeling amongst users of the 15 meg 1.5 crop camera is some are a step backward noise-wise (50D) while some are a step-up, (Pentax K20D) from the previous. I think Nikon will do a decent job but their (and Canon) camera prices seem to be climbing with each new model.

prinothcat

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:49 pm

As I her it, as one crams more photosites on to a silicon wafer, without increasing the size of the wafer, the spaces between the photosites actually become the issue. They have a tendency to become larger than the photsties themselves. This is supposed to result in decreased IQ instead of the opposite. I also believe that the common wisdom regarding DX sensor technology is that more is no longer better, it's just more for the sake of saying look we have more.

toosnvetts

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:24 pm

It does appear to be a WOW factor now, Chris. It should be interesting to watch all these new, expensive options in the current economy! Here is a Ken Rockwell article on "The Megapixel Myth".

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

prinothcat

Post Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:36 pm

toosnvetts wrote:It does appear to be a WOW factor now, Chris. It should be interesting to watch all these new, expensive options in the current economy! Here is a Ken Rockwell article on "The Megapixel Myth".

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

Absolutely. I agree 100%. They do it simply because they can, and people can be told that their perfectly functional equipment is now obsolete..... I enjoy KR's take on many things and even tend to agree with many of his ideas. Many others think he's a joke and a charlatan. I think that's the article where I formed my previous opinion, if I didn't straight out steal it.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras New Nikon 14 MP D400 may be coming...