Board index Equipment Digital Cameras cf error on canon 30d

Digital Cameras

cf error on canon 30d

chestersgallery

cf error on canon 30d

Post Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:10 am

I have recently developed an error on my Canon 30D.When I insert the flash card and power up I get a "CF err" message on the LCD display ( No CF card) . When the same flash card is put into my reader on my PC the PC dosn't recognise it. I can't format it on the camera or the PC. I went and bougfht a new flash card. ( 4GB sandisc ) and I have the same problem with this card too. Has anyone got any ideas before I send the camera back to the shop. PS I have tried the power on/off and battery in/out sevceral times.

dougj

Re: cf error on canon 30d

Post Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:38 am

It's odd that both the camera and PC + card reader exhibit the same problem, the only thing common is the CF, and now 2 of them. The camera and card reader both have narrow pins that connect with sockets in the CF. Take a look at the pins in both and see if any are bent over, also check the card reader for damage to the pin sockets. Maybe a pin became bent and damaged the CF socket which then bent the other pin, although this is a stretch.

chestersgallery

Post Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:21 pm

Thanks, for the prompt reply. I couldn't agree more that its a starange fault. I have checked the pins in the camera body already and these look fine as far as I can see. I think my next step is to try the CF cards in somthing else.( maybe a mates camera) My new cf card is readable by the PC its only the old one that won't read in either the camera or the PC. My thoughts are that the cf card as gone faulty and then put some sort of fault on the camera too. If I do find a solution I will post it on here for refrence to any one else with the problem.

christophertravels

Post Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:29 pm

I don't know but if I were to speculate:
The newer and larger capacity cards are high capacity and are not backwards compatible. I found out the hard way. My new Canon 450 can read the 4Gb SD HC cards but my computer couldn't. Then I bought a separate card reader, a small USB reader and everything is fine. Perhaps because your camera is older it's not able to read the high capacity cards. I don't have much experience with CF cards, but I can say that SD cards are normal capacity at 2Gb and less, high capacity at 4Gb and above.

chestersgallery

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:25 pm

I have hopefully now resolved the problem, thanks for all the comments. One of the pins in the cf card slot appears to have been damaged, I don't know how this happens exactly since the card can only go in and out one way and I'm always very carefull removing it. According to my retailer (jessops) canon are reluctant to repair these, seeing it as a none warrenty issue ( Im only assuming they must therfore be blaming the user). Anyway, I had a extended retailers insurance policy, so mine is still getting repaired free of charge. Maybe a word of warning to anyone else approaching canon for this fault. Please feel free to put me right on this issue as I am only making assumptions about canons policy on hear say. :wink:

dougj

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:06 pm

Unfortunately this problem is not that rare of an occurrence. You're right, there is only way way the card will fit, but the alignment of the pins to their respective sockets is fairly precise, the way the CF is designed there is not too much tolerance. I'm with a colleague from Australia that had this happen with his 450D and a low-cost CF shortly after he purchased it, Canon refused to cover it under warranty & the repair cost was the equivalent of USD 200. It's good your extended warranty covered it.

chestersgallery

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:03 pm

The really strange thing is that one pin can be bent with all the others are ok. The proximity of the pins to each other would suggest one bending would take several others with it, but thats not the case. Bizzare.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras cf error on canon 30d