Board index Equipment Digital Cameras What is the most amount of photos/shots ...

Digital Cameras

What is the most amount of photos/shots ...

capturekon

What is the most amount of photos/shots ...

Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:12 am

... that you take before getting a new camera?

I have a Nikon D80, which is my first dSLR ever, and I've already racked up 9,000 images through it.

I've had no major issues with it whatsoever. In fact, I love the darn thing. However, I just wanted to know if it's time for me to get a new camera or not.

What generally is the amount before you start thinking about getting a new body?

10K images? 15K? 20K? 25K+?

ernst

Re: What is the most amount of photos/shots ...

Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:59 am

I don't care about how many photos I take before thinking about a new camera. Only camera failures or dissatisfaction with image quality make me want to upgrade. I guess I already made about 30,000 shutter releases with my good old 20D and it's still working fine!
Estimated shutter life is approx. 100,000 clicks, so you still have some time to go. :D

niekirk

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:31 am

Hi Vince

You'll know when you need a new camera. It's when you find that you can't get the pictures that you want, at the quality that you want, because you're operating the camera beyond the edge of its envelope. The D80 is very capable, and should last most competent photographers for years.

If you've money burning a hole in your pocket, how about adding a lens? Or, do you have a tripod; I see from your gallery that you are happy to trudge up in to the hills at dawn to capture the first light of the day, and you do night photography too. A tripod would help with the HDR stuff you do too. What software have you got? Photoshop Elements is fairly cheap and powerful, if you're interested in taking control of the processing.

Or, as an unfashionable suggestion, why not go on some workshops, or join a club. I've found that honest constructive criticism and advice has improved my photography more than any amount I could spend on hardware.

Cheers

stevemockford

Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:05 pm

The previous posters are correct in my view. I believe that the D80 shutter is tested for 50,000 actuations so that is not currently a limiting factor; mine has approximately 14,000 and going strong. This is a very capable camera and you should consider a replacement when you find that the cameras capabilities are limiting your ability to get the shots that you want.

Cheers
Steve

bug322

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:43 am

Spamming idiot go away!!!

mike_horsley

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:23 am

I bought my D80 in 1/07 and passed 40,000 shots a couple of weeks ago, so you have plenty to go.

shawnkraus

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:41 am

Shutter life varies from camera to camera and just because it states a specific number does not mean it won't exceed or fall short of that number.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras What is the most amount of photos/shots ...