Board index Equipment Digital Cameras sonyA200 vs nikond60 vs canon 450d vs olympus e-520?

Digital Cameras

sonyA200 vs nikond60 vs canon 450d vs olympus e-520?

radioheadz

sonyA200 vs nikond60 vs canon 450d vs olympus e-520?

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:33 am

hi ...
i want to buy dslr camera but i m confuse to choose between these cameras below
sonyA200 vs nikond60 vs canon 450d vs Olympus e-520

which one u suggest and why?

djwixx

Re: sonyA200 vs nikond60 vs canon 450d vs olympus e-520?

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:21 pm

A Sony owner will recommend a Sony
A Nikon owner will recommend a Nikon
A Canon owner will recommend a Canon
An Olympus owner will recommend an Olympus

Look at the costs of each and then look at the lens range available for each and see what falls within what you want and what you can afford. I know which I'd go for, but guess what - I already have one, so my opinion doesn't count!!! Although saying that, I might consider some of the others :D

Check out http://www.dpreview.com for reviews to see if they sway your judgement.

doady

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:35 pm

I don't think it really matter. They are all pretty much the same. Instead of features of the bodies, what you should instead be looking at the selection of lenses available for each system and which ones you like most and using that to make your decision about which bodies to buy.

toosnvetts

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:37 pm

In addition to what Dave said, if you have a reputable camera store near you, you can visit and spend some time actually familiarizing yourself with the camera layouts, menus and logic. I was lucky enough to have a store like this, they spent a good part of a day helping me and giving me time to make choices. I would now recommend the Canon but, guess what, I already have one! LOL Good luck on your search!

radioheadz

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:09 pm

thnx to answers
I know which I'd go for, but guess what
so i guess u have Nikon D70s :mrgreen: ......

and about camera stores.... :evil: they make me confused....cose nikon sellers advice nikons and canon sellers advice canon...
i came back from camera stores now and they told buy canon40d or nikond80 cos both of them are in semi pro digital camera ranges.......
and between sonyA200 vs nikond60 vs canon 450d vs olympus e-520 i cant find really mass difference between them on Dpreview.com image samples unless them prices
image quality is my condition

djwixx

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:45 pm

radioheadz wrote:so i guess u have Nikon D70s :mrgreen: ......
and a few others!!!!!

I concur with doady - look at the lens selection and make a choice based on that. Once you have a selection of lenses upgrading the camera becomes simple, but once you're commited to a selection of lenses you'll feel locked in to that brand as the lenses will be an investment.

I don't like Sony, purely because historically they've always insisted on proprietory formats which have meant you've always needed to buy thier products. That's not so much the case any longer but it's enough of a reason for me to avoid their products in general.

Olympus makes some excellent cameras but nothing I have experience on so can't comment on.

I would suggest Nikon and Canon would be the main choices simply because they have the bulk of the market, and you're more likely to find good options available secondhand on both sides.

If I was going to suggest Nikon, it would only be because their lower end cameras feel better made than the lower end Canons, again only my opinion.

I don't think you'll go wrong with a Nikon or a Canon.

toosnvetts

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:56 pm

I'm sorry about your store experience, radioheadz. I think I was probably very lucky in that respect. I can imagine that some could be pushy or trying to get rid of old inventory, etc. Most of the photographers on here and a lot of other forums are very happy with Nikon or Canon, I have noticed that. Whatever you do, take your time now because it is cheaper to "buy right" at first instead of "buying again" later. Lenses are the true investments!

photobuggg

Post Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:00 am

I have used Sony A100 (similar to A200) and Nikon D40 (similar to D60). I prefer the Nikon as it's easier to use (for me). The menus are custamisable and easy to understand and the auto ISO works really well for people who just step up from a P&S. Pictures produced by the Nikon has better colour (my taste) but I am not sure if it's because I don't know how to set the A100 properly. I struggled to take pictures under environment with high contrast on my A100. It just couldnt auto focus and when it does, it got the exposure all wrong. I havent got such problems with my D40. But that's me, you should try them yourself to make a better decision.

Anyway, it's just my preference. Every camera has its limitation and users need to learn how to get around them. I think as long as you know your camera well, you should be able to take nice pictures.

If you have friends who are owners of the above cameras, go borrow them and have a try and look at the results on your computer screen as the LCD screen on the camera may be deceiving. As you are the ultimate user, you know what you prefer best.

radioheadz

Post Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:38 pm

thnx alot......so i will choose canon or nikon :mrgreen:
and about lenses i want start with a tele.... and think about sigma 28-200mm what do u think about that?
if u have any advice to buy a lens i will be glad to now that. :mrgreen:

wgrzesiakcom

Post Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:52 pm

Well for now I'd recommend Canon because Nikon has got a bit worse with it's amateur cameras. IMHO the last good Nikon amateur dslr was d50. I had it for over a year and I compared it to d40 - d50 is much better and d60 has just small improvements.

chunfye

Post Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:01 am

The only lens that I use is the nikon 18-200VR. Many think that it is soft but so far I find it quite well in serving my needs.
You can read the forum on camera on Pbase and have some ideas from the users of various models.

radioheadz

Post Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:22 am

any idea about canon ef 28-105 or sigma 28-200 .which one is sharper image?

djwixx

Post Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:07 pm

radioheadz wrote:any idea about canon ef 28-105 or sigma 28-200 .which one is sharper image?

Without knowing the specifics of either I'd suggest the Canon would be the better lens, if only because of the focal range is smaller, and hence will have a lower potential for introducing the normal issues that occur with lenses as you stretch the range. A rule of thumb is to divide the longer focal length by the shorter focal length. If the result is 4 or less then the lens should be very sharp. That's not the absolute answer and there are a huge number of other variables. Personally I'd stick with the kit lens , whatever that is and work your way from there. After a while you should be able to work out what you feel you're lacking and consider options after that. I've never used Sigma but I know there are a lot of stories of hit and miss quality control which has always put me off, but that's not to say they're not good.

doady

Post Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:23 pm

I don't understand why new photographers buy larger, heavier, legacy full-frame lenses for APS-C sensor cameras. I can understand older photographers who already have a large selection of film camera lenses using thme on dSLR, but why would someone who is just starting out do this? It doesn't make sense.

If you are starting out and don't intend to get a full frame SLR, you should probably not go for a system that has a very poor selection of lenses designed for APS-C.

This was the sort of thing I was talking about when I said to examine how well the lens selection for each system suits your needs.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras sonyA200 vs nikond60 vs canon 450d vs olympus e-520?