Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon PowerShot SX10 questions.

Digital Cameras

Canon PowerShot SX10 questions.

tboothby

Canon PowerShot SX10 questions.

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:19 am

I believe the release date was Oct. 3rd, just wondering if anyone has it yet? I am confused on the FPS specs., from some sources I get ~1.5 FPS and from others 4 FPS. Anyone know for sure?

Also, how well does the stabilization actually work?

Overall impressions of the camera so far?

Thanks
-T

djwixx

Re: Canon PowerShot SX10 questions.

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:36 am

Canon are saying about 1fps, and given the type of camera I wouldn't expect anything like 4fps unless the image quality is reduced significantly to allow for it, which in this case it isn't.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=17630#ModelTechSpecsAct

With regard to IS, always take it if it has it. It'll guarantee many shots in good light and increase the potential for usable results in poor light. If the camera is going to be stabilized on a tripod or the like then turn it off.

Below is some info on how it works or whether to have it as an option.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/image-stabilization.htm

tboothby

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:44 am

djwixx wrote:With regard to IS ... and increase the potential for usable results in poor light.

Sorry are you saying that IS will make shots in poor light worse or better?

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: I guess I am also seeking advise from someone that knows more about cameras then myself (which would probably be anyone). Do you think this camera would work decently for wildlife/nature photos? I was originally drawn to it because it is cheaper then dSLR and has 20x optical. I really don't know much about technical aspects of cameras (hence the P&S) and so have been going off what info I can gather online. This is mostly from the Canon website, and reviews... that look like they just pasted in a press release from Canon... any objective views would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

djwixx

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:08 am

tboothby wrote:
djwixx wrote:With regard to IS ... and increase the potential for usable results in poor light.

Sorry are you saying that IS will make shots in poor light worse or better?

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: I guess I am also seeking advise from someone that knows more about cameras then myself (which would probably be anyone). Do you think this camera would work decently for wildlife/nature photos? I was originally drawn to it because it is cheaper then dSLR and has 20x optical. I really don't know much about technical aspects of cameras (hence the P&S) and so have been going off what info I can gather online. This is mostly from the Canon website, and reviews... that look like they just pasted in a press release from Canon... any objective views would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

IS will arguably give you about a 3 to 4 stop advantage, which means you'll either get a shot in low light in auto mode, or if you need give you the scope to narrow the aperture to increase the depth of field or reduce the ISO to reduce the noise that higher ISOs create, or increase the shutter speed when the aperture is wide open. So, the answer is yes. I meant you are more likely to get results worth keeping in poor light with IS than not. As the light gets darker the aperture will widen to it's max, and/or the ISO will increase to the max then the shutter speed will get slower to the point where handholding becomes almost impossible so the IS will kick in to compensate and improve the potential for a result. That last sentence assumes the flash isn't being used, which by that point the camera will start recommending.

It'll suffice for wildlife/nature shots, with results that will show issues that are inherent in a point and shoot cameras. The zoom range sounds great, but the longer the zoom range the more compromise is being added to allow the camera give results across the whole range.

I would suggest anyone who knows about the technical aspects would probably avoid it and accept the loss of capability for greater image quality. There's little point in getting a shot of a bird a hundred feet away if there is little detail to enjoy. Saying that, if you want a shot to capture a memory, then it'll do what you want.

Personally I'd be inclined to wait until you see some real world results to determine if it's what you want. You can probably get a lot better for a similar amount of money, albeit with a lower zoom range. Given the number of pixels and a little photoshop knowledge, you can achieve the same results on quality 5X or 6X and crop to what you want as the subject.

In this case I think Canon are using high spec numbers to increase the saleability to the uninitiated!!!!

Below is an image I grabbed at 12X and there's a hell of a lot wrong with it. Imagine the results at 20X?

tboothby

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:37 pm

Can you suggest something within the $400 price range that would give better results for the money? Or would better results require dSLR and more cash?

Basically, do you think that I could get a better camera for $400?

Also, do more expensive cameras with telephoto lenses have similar problems at long distances (I think "no" right?)?

djwixx

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:55 pm

tboothby wrote:Can you suggest something within the $400 price range that would give better results for the money? Or would better results require dSLR and more cash?

Basically, do you think that I could get a better camera for $400?

Also, do more expensive cameras with telephoto lenses have similar problems at long distances (I think "no" right?)?

If you look at quality lenses then you'll see that they are generally primes (single focal length) or have a focus range of less than 4X, which minimises the potential for issues inherent with a lens covering a large zoom range.

Personally, unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, a DSLR probably isn't a good choice. Each of my lenses runs at the same price you're looking to pay for a camera. You will get better results with an entry level DSLR, but the benefits may not be obvious unless you want to spend a great deal of time understanding what you are trying to achieve.

I'm not saying your choice is bad, simply that I wouldn't buy it. Something like a Canon G10 seems like a good buy to me, but is yet to be proved. One option that looks extremely interesting is the Panasonic G1. Not quite an SLR but certainly gets you close. Most of the compacts I'm considering are about $500, without the extra memory and batteries :oops:

Have you had a looked at something like a Canon S5 or a Canon A650?

http://www.dpreview.com is a great source for reviews.

tboothby

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:25 pm

So the Canon PowerShot G10 is listed as 14.7 Megapix and 5X optical. V.S. Canon PowerShot SX10 IS which is 10 Megapix and 20X optical.

My primary interests are birds and insects, not photography, but obviously if I am taking pictures of them I want the pics to look as good as I can get for my money.

Do you think that the G10 with higher megapix/lower zoom will give better closeup photos then the SX10?

I have a rather old CoolPix3400 that is 3.7 Megapix and 4X I believe... and I have pretty much given up trying to use it. The images it produces are extremely flat, and if zoom is used very grainy and blurry.

I really appreciate your input DJwixx.

djwixx

Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:47 pm

tboothby wrote:So the Canon PowerShot G10 is listed as 14.7 Megapix and 5X optical. V.S. Canon PowerShot SX10 IS which is 10 Megapix and 20X optical.

My primary interests are birds and insects, not photography, but obviously if I am taking pictures of them I want the pics to look as good as I can get for my money.

Do you think that the G10 with higher megapix/lower zoom will give better closeup photos then the SX10?

I have a rather old CoolPix3400 that is 3.7 Megapix and 4X I believe... and I have pretty much given up trying to use it. The images it produces are extremely flat, and if zoom is used very grainy and blurry.

I really appreciate your input DJwixx.

The problem with manufacturers is that they can sell equipment based on high numbers. People like the sound the xx Megapixels, xX zoom etc etc, but ultimately those numbers don't translate into great quality. For the average person I'm sure it's more than sufficient.

To your question - YES, especially if you use the RAW option. You'll get far less lens problems in a 5X than a 20X. By that I don't mean actual problems that require the camera to be returned, I mean the issues commonly associated with any camera or lens with a long zoom range. Personally I'd prefer the G10 to have less pixels to reduce the potential for bad results. Pro cameras excel because they have a lower pixel density, i.e. you have the same number of pixels but in a much larger sensor, so it reduces the potential for the pixels to 'bleed', for want of a better expression.

I mention the A650 because you can buy a wide/tele adapter to increase the range when you need but have a small camera to carry around for daily use.

With G10 out there may be some deals on the G9, IF you can find any stores with them.

I'd recommend buying a cheap memory card and going to store that has what you like in stock, take a few pictures in various modes, then take the card home and check the results to see if you get what you want, Also check how it feels in your hands and whether the controls you need are obvious and workable. Ultimately it will be down to you liking the results the camera gets rather than the recommendations of any one else.

Many camera owners are entrenched in their preferred choice of manucturer, so a Canon enthusiast will tell you Canon make the best of everything etc etc. The reviews you get may be biased depending on the originators opinion.

As for point and shoots, I like Canon and have had six or so. I use a Nikon DSLR, but Nikon can't make a point and shoot of any note. The new P6000 might be the only exception to date and possibly worth looking into.

tboothby

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:04 am

Thanks for the advise. I'll let you know how it all turns out in the end.

djwixx

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:56 am

tboothby wrote:Thanks for the advise. I'll let you know how it all turns out in the end.

Good luck. Think of it as buying a family car - ultimately most will serve a function and do so reliably so it's down to your own preference :D

doady

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:52 pm

tboothby wrote:I believe the release date was Oct. 3rd, just wondering if anyone has it yet? I am confused on the FPS specs., from some sources I get ~1.5 FPS and from others 4 FPS. Anyone know for sure?
-T

There were two almost-identical cameras announced: the SX10 and the SX1. The SX1 has a CMOS sensor and is the one with 4 FPS shooting ability. It will not be released in North America.

tboothby

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:23 pm

doady wrote:
tboothby wrote:I believe the release date was Oct. 3rd, just wondering if anyone has it yet? I am confused on the FPS specs., from some sources I get ~1.5 FPS and from others 4 FPS. Anyone know for sure?
-T

There were two almost-identical cameras announced: the SX10 and the SX1. The SX1 has a CMOS sensor and is the one with 4 FPS shooting ability. It will not be released in North America.

Yeah, and costs around +$300... I am actually a little annoyed at Canon for lumping their SX10 and SX1 release together. A lot of sites I have seen reviewing the SX10 actually have the SX1 specs. Hence my initial confusion.

tboothby

Post Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:11 am

This was taken with the SX10, subject was approx. 200 ft away. Used full SX10 zoom w/out tripod.

Obviously this is not a wonderful photograph, but it seems to give a good idea of what results you can get with the camera.
http://www.pbase.com/tboothby/image/104462806

tboothby

Post Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:09 pm

Another test shot for those interested. Subject approx. 45 feet away. Using full 20X optical + 4X digital zoom w/out tripod.

For those more experienced, would using a tripod (IS off) help stop the "fuzzy edges"? Or is this just an artifact of using 80X zoom?
http://www.pbase.com/image/104510120/original

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon PowerShot SX10 questions.