Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Sports Lens for Canon Rebel XT eos

Digital Cameras

Sports Lens for Canon Rebel XT eos

glenda88

Sports Lens for Canon Rebel XT eos

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:06 pm

The lens I have do fine for shooting outside sports but I am now looking for one that will capture great indoor Volleyball images. I can not afford a 5k plus lens around 2k or below would be great but I am missing out on some great shots of my children. Any advice would be great. Edited this post after reading more and coming up with the
70-200 2.8L but which of the 2 would be better IS USM Telephoto zoom or the or the IS USM AutoFocus

Thank you
glenda88

toosnvetts

Re: Sports Lens for Canon Rebel XT eos

Post Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:29 pm

I just can't imagine that that lens would disappoint you. I have the 70-200 4L and it takes wonderful available light pictures. I do use the IS version and probably take it for granted. These lenses are just great. Good luck with your decision! :D

dougj

Re: Sports Lens for Canon Rebel XT eos

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:26 am

The Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS probably produces the highest image quality (IQ) of any Canon zoom lens today. I shoot the the f/2.8L IS version, the extra stop is good but the images have a tendency to be a little soft @f/2.8 when viewed on a monitor, while the f/4 IS version is very sharp and produces high quality images wide open at f/4. This is very much a subjective determination and each photog will have different IQ requirements.

The question is if you can achieve a fast enough shutter speed with f/4, if you can then the f/4 IS lens is a good choice. You'll save some money and weight in the process. Alternatively, you could also consider using a fast prime lens if a fixed focal length would work. You loose the versatility of the zoom, but gain in IQ.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Sports Lens for Canon Rebel XT eos