Board index Equipment Digital Cameras D200 users..whats the biggest memory card to purchase?

Digital Cameras

D200 users..whats the biggest memory card to purchase?

steveengland

D200 users..whats the biggest memory card to purchase?

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:40 pm

Needing a bigger memory card for my D200 and wondered what is the largest memory card that has worked ok for you?

Regards
Steve

prinothcat

Re: D200 users..whats the biggest memory card to purchase?

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:35 pm

I have a 4 gb Lexar card that I have yet to fill in days shooting.... It's never given me any problems. I back it up with a 2 gb card, also a Lexar.

mikelong

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:20 am

I also use the 4GB Lexar cards, and routinely fill them on trips lasting more than one week when i'm shooting NEF files. I've used them for 18 months now with no problems. 8GB cards are now available, but I prefer to use three smaller cards.

thegallopingflasher

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:02 am

Question I ask myself before a shoot are what type of photography will I be engaged in? what are my time constraints? and will I have the opportunity to reshoot if the images don't turn out like I expected or not at all. For wedding/event or travel photography I shy away from the larger cards because if one fails I am not trying to replicate the whole ceremony or the trip or looking at a complete failure to get "the shots" that count so much to my clients. In event/wedding and porrait photography where capturing the moment means so much to the clients using large capacity cards is bad business bcause you risk losing a lot more of "the moment" in the event of a failure and your reputation/sales can be adversely impacted.

Gary

steveengland

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:09 pm

thegallopingflasher wrote:Question I ask myself before a shoot are what type of photography will I be engaged in? what are my time constraints? and will I have the opportunity to reshoot if the images don't turn out like I expected or not at all. For wedding/event or travel photography I shy away from the larger cards because if one fails I am not trying to replicate the whole ceremony or the trip or looking at a complete failure to get "the shots" that count so much to my clients. In event/wedding and porrait photography where capturing the moment means so much to the clients using large capacity cards is bad business bcause you risk losing a lot more of "the moment" in the event of a failure and your reputation/sales can be adversely impacted.

Gary

Excellent advice as usual!
Thanks loads people!

dougj

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:03 pm

There are measured performance data on CFs for the D200 from Rob Galbraith's site that may be of interest. Note this section was last updated in April, there is new section related to card readers last updated a few days ago.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9406

dhenry

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:31 pm

what is the largest memory card that has worked ok for you?

I've been using an 8 GB Ultra II card that works great. It allows me to shoot a lot of RAW shots without space concerns. It is a bit slower offloading than the fastest cards but other than that it is great. If I fill it I normally have a couple 4 GB cards standing by.

Obviously none of that speaks to the "All your eggs is one basket" problem. So as others have said, if you are shooting something really important you should use more than one card (heck, I like to use more than one camera as well if it is critical).

lneves

Post Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:47 pm

Sandisk presented a 32Gb EXtreme III card at Photokina last week end
lneves

sjphoto

Post Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:39 pm

I use a 12G Sandisk ExtremeIII. I've never had a problem with the card, and I don't worry about space( I shoot all RAW). But if I were to shoot once in a lifetime events like weddings, I agree to use smaller cards.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras D200 users..whats the biggest memory card to purchase?