Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon G10 or Panasonic LX3 or Nikon P6000

Digital Cameras

Canon G10 or Panasonic LX3 or Nikon P6000

djwixx

Canon G10 or Panasonic LX3 or Nikon P6000

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:06 am

I'm looking for a decent point and shoot for when I have to travel light.

So far my list has been reduced to Canon G10 (due soon) or Panasonic LX3 or Nikon P6000 (due soon).

Any thoughts?

prinothcat

Re: Canon G10 or Panasonic LX3 or Nikon P6000

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:34 pm

regarding the P6000 you may want to read Thom Hogans comments regarding format compatibility

doady

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:31 am

LX3 is probably the best: the most compact, the fastest lens, the widest angle, and a reasonable amount of megapixels. It can also take photos photos at 3 different aspect ratios at FULL wide angle, which is just AMAZING. It lacks a viewfinder and command dial though.

The P6000 lens is ridiculously dark. It has an optical viewfinder, but the viewfinder looks like it might be much smaller than one on the G9.

Canon G10 is the first compact camera I've seen in a very long time that could be a suitable replacement for my 4 year-old Olympus C-7070 (not that it actually needs to be replaced). I love the design of this camera (especially with the 3 dials on top), but I think that a 14.7 megapixel sensor is just too much. Even most dSLRs don't have 14.7 megapixels yet.

niekirk

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:17 pm

If you're thinking about a high-end compact, why not have a look at the Panasonic G1. A bit larger than the others listed, but a bit smaller than an SLR, and with interchangeable lenses.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/news/2008/09/12/Panasonic-Announces-First-Micro-Four-Thirds-Camera-And-Lenses/p1

khun_k

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:48 am

within the 3 in question and witnessed what Canon G9 can do, I will have to say G10 is probably the most capable one, especially it has the new Digit 4 processor.

djwixx

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:10 am

Thanks for the responses so far.

The G1 is an interesting idea, but I can see over time it won't allow me the same freedom as I'll end up expanding the options to what I already have in a Nikon, so may as well look for a do all lens and use my existing camera, or my older D50.

I've been contemplating the G9, as I've always been impressed with Canon P&Ss, but now the G10 is out I'm very interested.

The LX3 looks stunning, if only from an aesthetic point of view. The F2.0 lens is extremely tempting, but the zoom range is a little off putting. And a viewfinder for another $200!!!!

The P6000 looks like a great package, and even though I use a Nikon as a DSLR I've never been impressed with Nikon P&Ss, either aesthetically or the results.

digitalfrog

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:53 pm

I'm also looking into those as a pocket(able) camera when I can't drag my fat SLR around.

Just saw some pictures made with the G10 and they were *horrible*. I can only hope it was user error. I'd suggest anyone looking at this camera to wait for more images produced by the average Joe to see what it's worth.

The lx3 is a bit smaller, but the total volume is not so much different than the G10 as it's lens sticks out quite a bit. I also don't like the idea of having to switch from 'shoot' to 'play' mode to review my pictures. That is a big blow in my opinion.

Sadly, the G10 and the LX3 seem to be the best available right now (will the different firmware of the Leica make a difference ?).

I guess I'm spoiled with my SLR's and may never be happy cutting so many corners just to have a smaller camera in return.
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/digitalfrog

cits_4_pets

Post Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:09 am

Are the small 'super zooms' small enough? I can fit my Panasonic FZ-18 in a backback type purse as well as carry it on my horse. It has a 35mm equivallent range of 28-405. Because of the small sensor it is not good in lowlight. BUT is does have FULL MANUAL overide. Other than lousy in low light my main complaint is the manual focusing is a joy stick instead of a focus ring.
Most of my images on pbase have been taken with it. I just put up a couple of bird shots taken at 800 ISO so you can see that it is not suitable for shooting in low light. Check out my galleries for shots taken with it...it is my 1st dig. camera and because of neck problems I have avoided the heavier DSLR...I was in pain using my Nikon N2020 with a lightweight Tamron lens trying to shoot birds. (I hand hold...no tripod. )
Flo

djwixx wrote:Thanks for the responses so far.

The G1 is an interesting idea, but I can see over time it won't allow me the same freedom as I'll end up expanding the options to what I already have in a Nikon, so may as well look for a do all lens and use my existing camera, or my older D50.

I've been contemplating the G9, as I've always been impressed with Canon P&Ss, but now the G10 is out I'm very interested.

The LX3 looks stunning, if only from an aesthetic point of view. The F2.0 lens is extremely tempting, but the zoom range is a little off putting. And a viewfinder for another $200!!!!

The P6000 looks like a great package, and even though I use a Nikon as a DSLR I've never been impressed with Nikon P&Ss, either aesthetically or the results.
Flo
Cits 4 Pets where Happy Pets Go with the Flo
http://www.pbase.com/cits_4_pets/
My Firefox Tthemes/skins for your web browser)

doady

Post Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:30 am

digitalfrog wrote:I'm also looking into those as a pocket(able) camera when I can't drag my fat SLR around.

Just saw some pictures made with the G10 and they were *horrible*. I can only hope it was user error. I'd suggest anyone looking at this camera to wait for more images produced by the average Joe to see what it's worth.

The lx3 is a bit smaller, but the total volume is not so much different than the G10 as it's lens sticks out quite a bit. I also don't like the idea of having to switch from 'shoot' to 'play' mode to review my pictures. That is a big blow in my opinion.

How exactly is that different from other cameras?

djwixx

Post Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:07 pm

doady wrote:How exactly is that different from other cameras?

I would guess the point being made is that you are either in one mode or another, so if you are reviewing pictures you can't simply notice a scene and try to grab a shot without switching modes. With my D80 I can be reviewing pictures but can still grab a shot simply by pressing the shutter without needing to check what mode I'm in.

ralf

Post Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:44 pm

Right, that is what's often called "shooting priority". My Pentax Optio WP also works that way -- press the shutter and you're back in capture mode even if you were in playback mode. This requires a button to select playback; cameras that use a lever or dial to select between capture and playback can't work that way (e.g. Minolta Dimage 7 [dial] and Dimage A1 [lever]), though if the camera uses a dedicated lever placed where your right thumb can access it as on the A1, you can train yourself to flip the lever as you bring up the camera to shoot.

doady

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:57 pm

The thing is, the LCD is the only way to frame a photo with the LX3. So if you are using the LCD for playback, I am not sure why you would be taking a photo at the same time since you cannot see what you are shooting and are therefore unable to frame the photo. Doesn't make sense to me.

djwixx

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:16 pm

doady wrote:The thing is, the LCD is the only way to frame a photo with the LX3. So if you are using the LCD for playback, I am not sure why you would be taking a photo at the same time since you cannot see what you are shooting and are therefore unable to frame the photo. Doesn't make sense to me.

I think that's the point - you can't do one then switch to the other without thinking about it. If a naked woman steps in front of you while you are reviewing your other pictures, do you want to have to think about switching modes to get a shot or just be able to get a shot :D

doady

Post Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:54 am

djwixx wrote:
doady wrote:The thing is, the LCD is the only way to frame a photo with the LX3. So if you are using the LCD for playback, I am not sure why you would be taking a photo at the same time since you cannot see what you are shooting and are therefore unable to frame the photo. Doesn't make sense to me.

I think that's the point - you can't do one then switch to the other without thinking about it. If a naked woman steps in front of you while you are reviewing your other pictures, do you want to have to think about switching modes to get a shot or just be able to get a shot :D

Hmm... photography would probably the last thing on my mind at that point, unless you mean something else when you say "get a shot"

I checked my Olympus C-7070, and pressing the shutter does indeed switch the camera back into shooting mode from Quick View mode. I owned this camera for 4 years and I did not realize this.

As for the newer cameras, I have just discovered some major negative points about the Panasonic LX3. It seems that the lens has severe barrel distortion and chromatic aberration that is corrected automatically by the in-camera JPEG algorithms. This was discovered by users who used third party software to process the RAW files. So I can no longer recommend this camera to anyone. It is a shame because the camera seemed so promising.

Lots of people out there call for a compact camera with an APS-sized sensor, but as the LX3 shows, even for a small sensor it is difficult for a lense to be bright, compact and high quality at the same time. For example, the lense of the Sigma DP1 has a max aperture of only F4 despite having a fixed focal length.

No doubt the Canon G10 has a higher quality lense than the LX3: more realistic specifications (darker and less wide angle), physically larger, and having to cover a smaller sensor.

ericvalk

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:02 am

I have had my G9 for almost a year now - very happy with the image quality and camera feature set. About the only complaints I'd have about the camera design is that the optical viewfinder is not too accurate. Hence when the LCD washes out in strong light, you don't have a good fallback. I've since attached one of the Delkin pop-up LCD shades, this has helped quite a bit. You may find the same issue (and solution) with the G10.

Next

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon G10 or Panasonic LX3 or Nikon P6000