Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 1D Mark III AF Question

Digital Cameras

Canon 1D Mark III AF Question

kammphoto

Canon 1D Mark III AF Question

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:47 pm

Hello, I have recently purchased the Mark III with the serial number not in the faulty-mirror range. I will be using it for sports and some portraits. I did some test shots and found out that it was not as sharp as I would like. I used a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 and a Canon 24-70 f/2.8. The camera was set to automatic and the drive mode on one shot. I set my strobes low enough to allow a f/2.8 on both lenses. Using Mountain Dew cans, I placed them at varying distances about 1 inch apart. (One can in the middle and one up about an inch and one set back an inch from the center can.) I focused on the middle can. I noticed that with both lenses the can in the front was the sharpest. I took around 12 frames in Raw and JPG. Each frame I adjusted the AF Microadjustment (2:Adjust by lens). My finding was that with both lenses the +10 setting was the best. That setting gave the can in the middle the sharpest point. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what they have done to correct it. I have not had the time to check out these setting in the AL SERVO drive mode and was wondering if those setting could possibly mess that part up.

Keith

turboman36

Re: Canon 1D Mark III AF Question

Post Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:00 pm

No response to on this yet.... I hope you like the Mark III. Mine was also not as sharp as I would like for both those lens:
It came with Firmware 1.1.3 and the 70-200 f/2.8 needed a micro adjustment of +12
the Canon 24-70 f/2.8. was +7 back focus +8 Front focus with no acceptable middle point.
I upgraded FW to 1.2.3 and 70-200 now only needed a +2 but the 24-70 still has the same problem and AF was just not consistent with 24-70. Sent both lens and body back to canon and they dial in the lens (no work was required on body) but the 24-70 was still not giving me what i wanted guess i had a dud, tried my friends 24-70 and it worked like a charm no MA required....go figure.. The AI SERVO dosent change these settings. If you are getting soft pictures from AI SERVO try reading all the white papers and guides they have dealing with the CFn settings as different combination of things like AF Focus tracking speed, AF Point expansion etc...all can will affect focus. In general i am quite pleased with mine.

toosnvetts

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:53 pm

I have been reading these posts for a couple of days. It seems obvious to me that you guys are at least semi-pro photographers and most of what you have said is going right over my head. I bought a 1D-Mk3 about six months ago and have shot just over 2000 photos. I use mostly the EF 70-200 4L and EF 50 1.8 for birds and have noticed that focusing is not as automatic or "good" as I had with the same lenses on my 400D. I shoot many more shots with the 1D for the same number of "keepers" and it is not because of the frame per second speed. LOL I still love the camera and it works perfectly every time with my EF 17-40 4L.

I have no idea about serial numbers and mirror problems. Even the manual seems to be written for people with years of experience, custom functions, for example. I am having lots of fun with it and I hope I grow into it but am open to any tips concerning anything I might be doing wrongly or neglecting.

dang

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:06 am

Hi Charlie,
There's a nice review on the IDs MKIII (there isn't one on the non "s"), but it should be close enough to answer a lot of your questions. There's sections
explaining different settings, which is easier to understand than the manuals. You can see it here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1dsmarkiii/

After you've read it, I think I recall an article specifically about setting the focus adjustments on these. I'll see if I can track it down for you, unless one of the guys who owns this body posts an explanation. :wink:

toosnvetts

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:56 pm

Thanks, Dang! Any links are greatly appreciated. :)

dang

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:26 pm

No problem,
Since I'm not using this body I can't confirm whats said, but seemed to be a pretty good article dealing with the focus issues of this model.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-8740-9068-9357
Hope you find it helpful.

toosnvetts

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:53 pm

I've been out of town but wanted to thank you for those links, Dang. Very good information and I appreciate your helpfulness! :)

alibaby

Post Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:09 am

All of my lenses work just fine with my 1D Mark III with no micro adjustment required. I've never had a problem (except operator error) with any Canon gear.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 1D Mark III AF Question