Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon repairs

Digital Cameras

Canon repairs

andywilson

Canon repairs

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Can anyone recomend somewhere to get a reapir on a Canon EOS 20D in the USA (specifically Maryland, but could mail it).

The camera only needs a new CF door but the factory have quoted a rather disgraceful $305. Really unhappy about that - the camera is nearly 4 years old and otherwise in perfect working order - but it's probably not even worth $305.

Is this something I could do myself if I could get hold of the part?

Any advice grafetully recieved.

From a very disgruntled Canon customer :x

snappingturtle

Re: Canon repairs

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:52 pm

Which factory did you call? $300 does sound awfully high. Canon has several repair facilities in the country. Two of them repair EOS equipment. One in New Jersey, and one in California. Here are the addresses.

Canon Factory Service Center
15955 Alton Pkwy
Irvine, CA. 92618

100 Jamesburg Road
Jamesburg, NJ. 08831

I use the New Jersey one and have their number. It is 732-521-7007. I am not sure if they offer price quotes over the phone, but you can try.

andywilson

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Thanks - it was the New Jersey Service Centre. $305 is their minimum repair charge for out of warranty EOD 20d - $290 labour and $15 postage. Ouch.

That's an awfully high minimum rate. Are Canon trying to alienate customers or what?

Andy

snappingturtle

Post Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:21 pm

I don't know what goes behind closed doors, but most of the reasons I heard over the counter were rising cost of labor (at this time lack of labor because most of the technicians are in Bejing ), parts delay, and parts unavailable. I am not familiar with battery or card door issues, but the most expensive thing I experienced so far was a broken shutter quoted at $310. The cheapest was a replacement IS unit for $100. Don't know what else to say.

gpaai

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:02 pm

htsung wrote:Which factory did you call? $300 does sound awfully high. Canon has several repair facilities in the country. Two of them repair EOS equipment. One in New Jersey, and one in California. Here are the addresses.

15955 Alton Pkwy
Irvine, CA. 92618

100 Jamesburg Road
Jamesburg, NJ. 08831

I use the New Jersey one and have their number. It is 732-521-7007. I am not sure if they offer price quotes over the phone, but you can try.

The Irvine, CA numbers are: Tel: (949) 753-4200 - Fax: (949) 753-4239 - e-mail: cafactoryservice@cusa.canon.com
I love photoshopography.......

andywilson

Post Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:31 pm

Well, I looked around and found a repair store in Morgantwon, WV, who did the job for a very reasonable $69 - saving me $240. My advice is, be wary of sending cameras back to Canon for basic repairs - they seem happy to charge 450% more than other places. Still annoyed about this - Canon clearly don't value loyal customers.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon repairs