Board index Equipment Digital Cameras advantage of a Pro rated over semi pro

Digital Cameras

advantage of a Pro rated over semi pro

trance_mama

advantage of a Pro rated over semi pro

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:30 pm

Hi,

I need to purchase a camera, starting from nothing. (had Nikon D70 that was stolen with lenses).
I am ready to begin a project that I wish to have printed. Most of my shots would be detail oriented nature outdoor+ some studio still. (no action shots needed).
what is the benifit of getting a Nikon D300 over a Canon 450? Both have over 12 mp and have a LCD view of the shot.
I have been considering a Nikon D300 but the Canon 450 is much cheaper...

any comments would be great.
cheers!
Last edited by trance_mama on Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

tonylong

Re: advantage of a Pro rated over semi pro

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:10 pm

Hello trance_mama,

The D300 and the 450D are in two totally different classes: the 450D is an inexpensive, compact entry-level DSLR that is capable of taking very good images, whereas the D300 is a high-quality prosumer DSLR with a rugged weather-resistant build and features/enhancements that make it fitting for a wide range of "serious" photography.

So, if you want inexpensive, compact, but limited in use and abuse, the 450D is very nice, but if you want a camera that is high-performance and will allow you to stretch your abilities and can handle less-than-favorable outdoor conditions, you would be better served with the D300 (or, alternatively, for a lower price the Canon 40D; it does not, however, have the weather-resistant body).

If at all possible, I'd suggest you find a local retailer who carries both bodies and handle the 450D before buying it. Many people find it too small and "cheap", whereas others really prefer it because it's so compact. But, like I said, both cameras can capture great images -- the D300 does, though, offer more high ISO range for low light shooting.

Have fun,

Tony

dang

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:43 pm

I'd like to add a note also. Regardless which body you get, unless you can afford better lenses, resolution gained from extra mega pixels will be disappointing. If you haven't need to shoot with ISO 1600, or above, with most frames per second available, lenses should be the primary concern.

khun_k

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:31 am

If you don't carry your camera to record war, Olympic events or icy mountain and rain forest, the image quality is more or less with the sensor and the chip that decode the pixels into RGB values, nothing to do with the camera built, weight, weather proof and so on. However, a professional camera is more likely to be better finished, superior ergonomics, and better balance when you attached with varies ranges of lenses and many people believes with a professional camera on hand gives one more confident, I disagree. Photography is always about photographer, not the camera. If you have limited budget, choose the sensor/chip inside the camera rather on the camera itself, improve your skill will easily make up more than enough between the pro and semi-pro or entry level cameras. Then whatever you save, invest a better lens! In digital capture, the lens is more likely to outlast the camera body.

trance_mama

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:54 am

thanks Tonylang and Dong khun_k, That was very helpful. I did know they are both not of same class, just wanted to understand the advantage.
khun_k, who has a better chip inside the camera? Canon or Nikon?
I agree the lens is super important.
I will be shooting mostly at the beach, lots of sand, wind, ocean spray..wouldn't that require durability? (D300?)

Thanks for your promt responses.

cheers!
De Mama

tonylong

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:16 am

trance_mama wrote:thanks Tonylang and Dong khun_k, That was very helpful. I did know they are both not of same class, just wanted to understand the advantage.
khun_k, who has a better chip inside the camera? Canon or Nikon?

I'd say both are "very good" with the D300 having an edge in high ISO performance for low light.

I agree the lens is super important.
I will be shooting mostly at the beach, lots of sand, wind, ocean spray..wouldn't that require durability? (D300?)

Thanks for your promt responses.

cheers!
De Mama

The D300 has a weather-resistant body, but with both bodies common sense should be the rule. I own a Canon weather-resistant body but I would still not over-do getting it wet or exposed to a sandstorm. Plus, lenses are often not weather and dust resistant, and if you change lenses in wind or spray you can get dust and contaminants into your sensor compartment and on your sensor. So, yeah, the D300 is a better all-around camera, including beach use, but if taken care of the 450D still does a great job. Your choice!

trance_mama

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:05 am

Oyy Oyyy, Life would be so much easier if some one just said:
buy this camera... this is what you need... Choices, choices, choices

thanks a million for your comments!
Will have to do some more research.

khun_k

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:29 pm

I don't think I am qualified to comment between Nikon and Canon whose chip is better, they both good enough, so as the other suppliers. I use a large range of cameras, mostly digital, and for pure quality, certainly Kodak/Dalsa is still distance ahead of Japanese makers, as far as I know, perhaps due to their more focus on scientific research. However, for most of the users, me included, we are more or less using consumer grade cameras, I don't think it matter the final output of picture that much. In 135mm format, I use a lot more Canon camera+lenses, they are indeed very good. I did not use Nikon much enough for me to discover its maximum potential, but I believe they both are quite close.

trance_mama

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:22 pm

Thanks Khun_k. (I have noticed that most of the top runners in the photo competitions here were shot with a Canon... I know it does not mean much, but it pushes the scale towards the canon lenses maybe.)
Anyhow, this subject has been discussed in other threads here so I will dive in and make a final slection, I miss not having a camera, it has been too long (October 07)!
Thanks again for your help.

prinothcat

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:53 pm

Some thing to be noted. Apparently, Canon got AF right before Nikon. Therefore there are a large number of pros with older Canon AF glass. They keep buying new Canon bodies because it's not cost effective to replace all the Canon glass even if the newest Nikon bodies/sensors/whathaveyou might be better.. This means in the pro ranks there are more Canon shooters than Nikon. I just covered the Tour Of Utah bicycle race and all the pros shot canon, and their glass was a mix of old and new, IS and non IS. The semi-pros (myself included) were shooting newer Nikon stuff. The pros were shooting FX and the rest of us were shooting DX. I guess my point is, don't judge one brand over the other based on what you see in print, online or where ever regarding what various guys are shooting. It really come down to what do you intend to shoot, what glass do you intend to acquire to fulfill your needs. Then go and physical hold and eyeball the bodies to which you have narrowed your search. Look at the controls and the menus, especially the menus. Some people find Canon menus to be cryptic. Figure out if you can change common setting on the camera body. If you have to use menus, find out how far into the menus one has to navigate to change these settings.
Perhaps I ramble a bit..
Chris

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras advantage of a Pro rated over semi pro