Board index Other Travel Croatia and Slovenia

Travel

Croatia and Slovenia

mikelong

Croatia and Slovenia

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:00 pm

Has anyone driven the coast route along the Adriatic Sea from Dubrovnik, Croatia north to the border with Slovenia? I leave on a solo photo trip for three weeks starting Thursday and am searching for good locations, especially off the beaten track. Also, any recommendations for photography/hiking/climbing (via ferrata?) in Slovenia since that's where I plan to finish up at the end of the month?
Thanks
Mike
Last edited by mikelong on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

rmlupu

Re: Croatia and Slovenia

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:01 pm

I have not but I will look forward to seeing your shots when you get back, you have some great travel stuff. I have long wanted to go to Slovenia and plan to do so soon so please post what you find out and your recommendations. :) I am :mrgreen: with envy

mikelong

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:31 pm

I will definitely do that, and thanks for your nice comment :D

thelund

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:38 am

mikelong wrote:Has anyone driven the coast route along the Adriatic Sea from Dubrovnik, Croatia north to the border with Slovenia? I leave on a solo photo trip for three weeks starting Thursday and am searching for good locations, especially off the beaten track. Also, any recommendations for photography/hiking/climbing (via ferrata?) in Slovenia since that's where I plan to finish up at the end of the month?
Thanks
Mike

I have only driven the highway/motorway route, not all the small roads by the sea, but i have been along most of the coast on the Istria peninsula, it's a very lovely mediteranean landscape! I can recommend the "Limski canal" which is a kind of fjord with, for the area, fairly steep hills down to the water.

I think you HAVE TO end up in the area around Bled or Bohinj in northern Slovenia close to the border of Austria!
In this area there are plenty of beautifull hills to hike in, mountains to climb and deep blue mountainlakes and rivers to admire and photograph! I've been to lake Bled twice and Bohinj just last year! http://www.pbase.com/thelund/slovenia_2007&page=all
Additionally the Triglav national park is very close, Triglav is the highest peak in Slovenia and if you're in a decent physical condition you should be able to climb it, ascend and descent, in just a single day. (only gear you need are good boots)

If you do choose Bohinj or Bled (only 20 km apart) buy a detailed hiking map of the area, they will tell you where everything is! There are plenty of waterfalls, a few gorges (one has a river through it), lots of lakes, mountains, hiking trails and view points. If i remember, when i get home from work, maybe i can find some of the good spots on google maps and tell you who made the really good maps! :)

mikelong

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:09 am

Thanks for the info, I missed your post by a few days but figured out where to go along the way. Here's the new gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/mikelong/gallery/adriatic.

Board index Other Travel Croatia and Slovenia