Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon PowerShot SD1000

Digital Cameras

Canon PowerShot SD1000

jerseygirl

Canon PowerShot SD1000

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:03 pm

Is anyone familiar with this camera? I've had it a little over one year and about a month after using it last summer I got an error message *lens error restart camera* a couple of times, thought it was a fluke or something I did but it never happened until a few weeks back, this time constantly. I decided to google the error message and found that many with this camera has had it happened.
We have 2 other cameras (Olympus & Cannon) large, older and never a problem. I was going to send it back to Canon but don't think there's much they can do. They will probably tell me there dust or sand in it that's causing it and want to charge me almost what its worth. I just want a small camera I don't have to lug while I'm traveling. Considering a Nikon Coolpix S210.

I was just curious if someone had this experience here with the Canon and if anyone one owns the Nikon Coolpix. Thanks.
Linda

dang

Re: Canon PowerShot SD1000

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:20 pm

According to Canon Support:

The "E18" or "Lens" error message indicates an error that involves the lens unit or lens cover.
This error may appear where the lens is prevented from properly extending or retracting such as, for example, when pressure is applied to the lens or the area surrounding the lens while handling the camera. The error may also be displayed if the lens unit/camera has been subjected to an external shock, or if a foreign substance (i.e. liquid, sand, dirt) enters the camera.

Solution
Check the following when you operate the camera to avoid applying pressure to the lens and surrounding area:

* Hold the camera so that your fingers do not touch the lens unit when you are shooting.
* Make sure the camera is off before the camera is placed back in the case. Exercise caution to ensure that the camera does not accidentally power on while the camera is stored inside the case.

If you cannot clear the error code by turning the camera off and then on again, or if the error code is displayed frequently, a camera malfunction may have occurred.

If it happens continually, it's suggested contacting them for service.

You might try cleaning the battery contacts with a pencil eraser to be sure there's not corrosion causing loss of power, and check your manual to see if there's a backup battery which might need replacing. Otherwise, there's little you can do if it's out of warranty.

jerseygirl

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:39 pm

Thanks, I have emailed them and they sent me a label plus instructions to send back. They suggested removing the battery and card which I've done numerous times. I have not tried the eraser which I'll try next. More than likely a sand particle is there. I guess I expected it to last longer since I used my Olympus the same way and never had problems with it.

dang wrote:According to Canon Support:

The "E18" or "Lens" error message indicates an error that involves the lens unit or lens cover.
This error may appear where the lens is prevented from properly extending or retracting such as, for example, when pressure is applied to the lens or the area surrounding the lens while handling the camera. The error may also be displayed if the lens unit/camera has been subjected to an external shock, or if a foreign substance (i.e. liquid, sand, dirt) enters the camera.

Solution
Check the following when you operate the camera to avoid applying pressure to the lens and surrounding area:

* Hold the camera so that your fingers do not touch the lens unit when you are shooting.
* Make sure the camera is off before the camera is placed back in the case. Exercise caution to ensure that the camera does not accidentally power on while the camera is stored inside the case.

If you cannot clear the error code by turning the camera off and then on again, or if the error code is displayed frequently, a camera malfunction may have occurred.

If it happens continually, it's suggested contacting them for service.

You might try cleaning the battery contacts with a pencil eraser to be sure there's not corrosion causing loss of power, and check your manual to see if there's a backup battery which might need replacing. Otherwise, there's little you can do if it's out of warranty.
Linda

toosnvetts

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:19 am

My wife has been using hers for about a year (SD1000) and it has been trouble free. Seems like good things to try listed above. I also agree it might be worth trying a new battery. Good luck.

jerseygirl

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:35 pm

toosnvetts wrote:My wife has been using hers for about a year (SD1000) and it has been trouble free. Seems like good things to try listed above. I also agree it might be worth trying a new battery. Good luck.

I decided to not send it back. Its been fine the last few weeks. Its more than a year old so I'm sure they would either charge me to fix it and not replace it. I'm looking at another camera and will use it as a back up. My niece also has the same one with no problems. What bothers me about the camera is if you google the error response I'm getting I'm not the only one this has happened to. I've taken a lot of good photos with it so I'll chalk it up to being a lemon.
Linda

prinothcat

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:47 pm

I think I'd send it back and see what they say. You never know it have a service advisory out on it (which often means it gets fixed no matter what), but Canon isn't actively persuing owners to have the service done. If the shipping is paid and it's not your primary camera I'd say ship it off.

jerseygirl

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:48 pm

prinothcat wrote:I think I'd send it back and see what they say. You never know it have a service advisory out on it (which often means it gets fixed no matter what), but Canon isn't actively persuing owners to have the service done. If the shipping is paid and it's not your primary camera I'd say ship it off.

I was told by them that they have not had any problems with that camera and based on what I've read on the internet with people that have sent it back, they had to pay for repairs. So, for now, I'll wait.
Linda

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon PowerShot SD1000