Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Backup-Restore when using Lightroom

Photo Editing Software

Backup-Restore when using Lightroom

almejia

Backup-Restore when using Lightroom

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:55 pm

I am using Adobe Lightroom for managing my pictures. It is very versatile and convenient. I would like to learn more about backup / restore issues, especially when the pictures are in one computer and the catalog on another.
I will appreciate very much any and all suggestions on the subject.

Thanks,
Alvaro

mistymaggie

Re: Backup-Restore when using Lightroom

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:25 am

Hi,

I am new here to the forum, saw your question and thought I would add my 2c. I am presently taking an on line course on lightroom at lynda.com. It is pretty good.

I joined up at the $25 per month option. I am new to digital and this so far is a great site for training on the cheap--I am presently taking the Lightroom class and the PS elements class-- JC Sofield here on pbase recomended NYI which I am going to sign up for but it is a bit more expensive--

If you want and it is what I did before I spent any money I did the trial run--You can go into the Lightroom class and try the modules out-I think about 5 or 6 before you have to commit to sign up--You also can try the other ones and they have a ton--see below

Hope this helps or maybe when I get proficient enough I will come back and fill you in LOL

Wayne

They have:

* 29,955 instructional videos
* 446 training courses
* 125+ expert instructors / teachers
* Modular videos help to learn specifics
* Self-paced learning
* New training courses added monthly
* Access to all training for one price!

almejia

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:52 pm

Thank you very much,
Alvaro

nelu_goia

Post Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Hello Alvaro,
I use Lightroom all the time and lately I`ve came to this solution,so that I can backup my photos AND my work already done on them. First I need to say that I only shoot in raw.
1.Import the photos in Lightroom, one folder at a time and create a collection for every separate folder.
2.Do the edits in Lightroom as much as possible and for higher-end work,in Photoshop. The resulting Photoshop file unfortunately has to be either tiff or psd,which takes a lot of space while editing the raw file in Lightroom only adds up a few kilobytes to the xmp file.
3.When done, gather a few folders (or not) to fill up a dvd and burn it.
4. I have about 3-4 TB of storage, so for the moment I can afford to keep the pictures on the hard disks, too.
5.If you want it, you can create a huge collection containing all your collections but it will only have the previews information and the xmp files, not the actual pictures, if you don`t want them in. This way you`ll have a “bird`s eye view”on your photos.
I hope this helps,
Nelu

Board index Equipment Photo Editing Software Backup-Restore when using Lightroom