Board index Other Travel best time for photogenic festivals in Bali?

Travel

best time for photogenic festivals in Bali?

marxz

best time for photogenic festivals in Bali?

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:12 am

I've noticed a few Balinese shots on pBase, like most countries I guess their are always shots to be had at anytime of the year but can anyone recommend the best time for any especially photogenic festivals or events in either Bali or Lombok?

In Australia Bali has a bit of a reputation as a tourist destination for the great unwashed masses but cheap airfare (cheaper than most domestic destinations) makes it a tempting destination and I'd like to get out of the normal main tourist spots.
there is no .sig

bcpics

Re: best time for photogenic festivals in Bali?

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:51 am

marxz -
Actually you just missed my favourite time of the year in Bali. It's called Nyepi and happens on the eve of the new moon before Easter. This is what I find so photogenic about it.
Galungan and Kuningan are two important days on the Balinese calendar. They are ten days apart with many temple ceremonies taking place. Penjors (decorated bamboo poles) appear a few days before Galungan and remain up for about a month. Next go round should be late August. There are always ceremonies at the full moon and the new moon with cremations, weddings and tooth-filings in between. Some info here.
By 'the normal main tourist spots' I would assume you mean Kuta/Legian. Very popular with Aussies as they rarely stray far from the beach :wink: , but very little of what you see there will have anything to do with Bali. I'd suggest heading inland to Ubud. There is a large variety of accommodation and it's a better base to explore the island from. Keep doing your research so you have a sense of what you want to see. When you get there, talk to the locals. They'll make sure you enjoy your visit.

Board index Other Travel best time for photogenic festivals in Bali?