Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Dishonest Online Store - Bestpricecameras.com

Digital Cameras

Dishonest Online Store - Bestpricecameras.com

jttaint

Post Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:20 pm

Thanks so much for this thread.
I have seen them come up as the lowest price in searches, but have never done business with them because the price is SO much lower than everyone else.
I just figured there was something funny or wrong with them.

Thanks for the link to the review site also.

dhag

A total rip off.

Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:39 pm

This reads almost like a joke but it's true ... here's my experience with these guys just today, had to send this letter to make sure they didn't try and charge my card. jack black and john sawyer - are you kidding me, i laughed at the dude when he gave me those names. wish i had found you guys first.

I am writing to inform you I would like order # xxxxx cancelled immediately. I attempted to do so over the phone and was informed by your representative, Jack Black, orders could not be cancelled outside 1 hour of being placed. I had previously reviewed the policies by which the site was governed and found that to not be the case. After some back and forth Mr. Black conceded my order could in fact be cancelled, however he then indicated there would be a “cancellation fee of about 10%.â€

slurve30

Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:58 pm

No offense to those who did order through this site (or any other similar site)... but when you're about to make an online purchase, isn't it common sense to check out how reputable a dealer is? Especially when it comes to large purchases? Or even more so if the price is faaaaaar lower than anywhere else that you've seen? I mean, I know as humans, we're impuslive, but when it comes to such a huge chunk of change, wouldn't the sensible thing to think be "Gee... this price is like 30-40% lower than anybody else's listed price. I wonder how they're able to do that. There must be some horrible horrible catch" and go try to look up and see what said horrible horrible catch is?

Same goes for eBay.

Use your head and be safe. If it looks too good to be true, 99.999% of the time it is.

rileypm

Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:23 am

Amen, slurve30, amen!

dhag

slurve30

Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:50 pm

i really can't see the point of that post - does it make you feel better about yourself? smarter than the rest of us? rubbing it in? sorry but i don't get it ... if it's a warning it's an awfully condiscending way to do it.

some of us made mistakes and we're here letting people know about our experience so they 1) can avoid making the same mistake or 2) how to deal with these crooks once it's happened. but for you to come on and into question people sensibility at this point is offensive and will only discourage future posts aimed to help others ...

not to mention the fact your assumptions as to why people order online and what research they do is just plain wrong.

so let me conclude by saying your welcome, glad you can crow at the expense of others, hope you feel good about yourself.

ericvision

Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:01 pm

slurve30 wrote:isn't it common sense to check out how reputable a dealer is?

It is common sense to do some research. The best way to do it is by reading posts by people like dhag. I know people who have been stung on the internet, and they're not stupid people. There is a way to con everyone, even you, and the most unscrupulous dealers will find those ways...

But for the record, I don't think that slurve was actually crowing, merely another way of saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it isn't."

rileypm

Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:36 pm

If I have the resources to purchase goods on the internet, then I have the resources to research who I am planning to do business with. The best way to do that research is to check out rating services like bizrate.com, pricegrabber.com, buy.com, etc. Not to mention the BBB in the location of where they claim to be doing business. There are far more investigative resources available than pbase forums. For that matter if one was to rely on pbase forums as their only method of research, it would stand to reason that one would still investigate before they buy.

agleiner

Post Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:38 pm

I would like to add yet another story to bolster the notion that these people are crooked. I orderer a Canon EOS 5D with the 24-105mm F4 lens from these people. I knew they were overcharging some for the shipping and battery, but I figured they had to make some money on this and the overall price was good. When I received it, the invoice price was $160 higher than they quoted me on the phone. After I called to get that straightened out, I openend the camera and found 1) there was no warranty card 2) the power cord for the battery charger had only European plugs 3) they had substituted a generic filter for the one I ordered. When I called them back, they were rude, angry, told me they were going to charge me a $400 restocking fee etc. I shipped the entire mess back to them and luckily American Express is backing me up by refusing to pay them. (I cannot adequately describe the aggravation and wasted time dealing with these people).

Their Web site says there products carry a US warranty, but they put an asterisk by it, which I guess means, "Unless it doesn't carry a US warranty". These people are not to be trusted, and frankly I would not buy a postage stamp from these people.

My mistake! Don't repeat it.

hiltonpics

RipOFFS!

Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:46 pm

You know, I had the exact same experience with geniuscameras.com - and I was thinking that I too may torment them by calling/hanging up - and maybe some 'teaser' sales, but fumble with the credit card, put them on hold, change my order, change my order again, etc... :twisted:

gkhay

Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:14 pm

I would also suggest looking at the corperate website for the product your trying to buy, and see the store locations. I'm not sure how distribution goes in the US, but in canada all the Nikon Cameras go though Nikon Canada. So you can see who they are selling them to offically, if a company is not on the store list, they are more likely to of gotten the camera/lens etc, from somewhere else.

Always ask questions, and ask around and make sure your hearing the same thing from your retailers. Ask questions you already know the answer to. If someone is trying to take advantage they likely do not have all the facts, or will give you the run around.

And if they continually answer back, "Just look it up on there site" this a red flag. You want the information from them about what they are selling you.

Double check your cart, is there a lot of item detail, or are items discribed as 'Skylight Filter'? Some warrenties require the Serial Number on the invoice to claim (Usally Lens & Camera Bodies).

And finally, keep copies of discussions, so if you do get burned you have proof.

Graeme

dhag

Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:42 am

Crowing:
rileypm wrote:If I have the resources to purchase goods on the internet, then I have the resources to research who I am planning to do business with. The best way to do that research is to check out rating services like bizrate.com, pricegrabber.com, buy.com, etc. Not to mention the BBB in the location of where they claim to be doing business. There are far more investigative resources available than pbase forums. For that matter if one was to rely on pbase forums as their only method of research, it would stand to reason that one would still investigate before they buy.

Helping:
"The best way to do that research is to check out rating services like bizrate.com, pricegrabber.com, buy.com, etc. Not to mention the BBB in the location of where they claim to be doing business."

Clarifying:
Buy.com is a direct merchant. Pricegrabber and bizrate are scraping sites, they get paid when you transact with one of their merchants. Neither is an independent rating service, each uses it's own subjective methodology to rate sites. There was even a rating on the site we are complaining about here. BBB is an excellent resource and in this case one I wish I had checked!

Good luck to everyone out there - it's early but the internet is convenient and rapidly changing medium. Unfortunatley there are bad people who are just as innovative trying to exploit it's holes. Forums like this allow the power of the community to fight back and become smarter.

dbluong

Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:26 pm

bestpricecameras.com
expresscameras.com
geniuscameras.com

they are probably the same company ... avoid dealing with them!

jwazzz

Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:57 pm

The only 2 photo stores that many pros will only deal with are B&H and Adorama. Both are in NYC but have a good mail order reputation. You will get what you pay for, and get the cheapest possible prices. Be suspicious of anyone offering less then them.

fixx

Re: This store blows D@#K!!!!!!

Post Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:21 pm

rolson wrote: Oh buy the way I called that store all day on Sunday calling and hanging up. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

...as juvenile as this is, it makes my inner child so happy. At the very least you annoyed the hell out of them that day.

...now the reason for my post. This thread is a perfect example of why a "where to buy online?" post like the following: http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=19969 ...should be a sticky.

I think this sort of thing will happen over and over again because every day another person is getting into a new camera and browsing the sites. I like resellerratings.com , but I also like to hear from fellow forum members. It helps to hear their opinions, where they like to shop and where they have had good experiences.
I agree it does make good sense to do your homework and check around before ordering online. But, I'd guess that everyone does not know exactly where to check for such things. This must be true simply from the number of people every month who complain about getting burned by these shit sites. That is where a sticky on sites like this one will come in handy for a great number of people.
:idea: The beauty of a sticky is that it would be one stationary thread for us ALL to post on instead of 50 million threads scattered thru the entire archive with mixed groups of us posting here and there.

srijith

Re: This store blows D@#K!!!!!!

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:44 am

rolson wrote: This thread is a perfect example of why a "where to buy online?" post like the following: http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=19969 ...should be a sticky.

Have made that a sticky. Hopefully it will not attract too many spam advert. posts

PreviousNext

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Dishonest Online Store - Bestpricecameras.com