Board index PBase Show and Tell 549th Show & Tell Competition: Hope and Sorrow - WINNER

Show and Tell

549th Show & Tell Competition: Hope and Sorrow - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
kzaret

549th Show & Tell Competition: Hope and Sorrow - WINNER

Post Sun May 03, 2020 1:42 am

Thanks everyone for your entries. Looking at the pictures made me wonder if it is presumptuous to think that we could know someone's internal emotions from an image. But a goal of photography is to tell a story in the work, and the image should convey something to the viewer beyond a "that's nice" sentiment. The pictures chosen here worked for me, which I admit is subjective. Final note- the gorilla shot by Jola D. was awesome, but I asked for humans this time around!

A few honorable mentions:

Expecting sisters, Markus Grompe:

Little girl, Marty, luxun54:

Lonely in the coffee shop, Marisa Livet. If this isn't sorrow, I don't know what is:

Third place, Peter Shulz: A technical masterpiece, great lighting, composition, and sharp. The monotone works for me. Clearly the young girl is hoping for something.

Second place, Walter Koenig: This image captures a weathered face of someone who has seen it all, perhaps not a lot of it good, but still has a sparkle in his eye. I appreciate the sharpness and high quality of the image itself.

First Place, Marisa Livet: To me, the most impactful of the images were of children. This young girl doesn't look happy. Knowing children, her family could be just out of the frame, or she could be experiencing true loss. I don't always go for rough framing, but in this case it works very well; a nice creative touch. I also liked the fortuitous repeat of yellow in the image, which probably caught Marisa's eye in the first place. Great job Marisa, your turn!

luxun54

Re: 549th Show & Tell Competition: Hope and Sorrow - WINNER

Post Sun May 03, 2020 4:27 am

Thanks for the HM, a great topic, and many powerful images.

mardoli

Post Sun May 03, 2020 11:58 am

I feel rewarded that you chose two of my photos, Ken, among so many worthy entries. I'm not sure my work deserves such praise.

I'm never completely happy with what I do in all creative fields, photography, writing and so on. I can only thank you for encouraging me.

I have enjoyed this competition, because I could see many photos which really conveyed something deep, both visually and emotionally.

I'm thinking of a theme for the next competition, that I'll post soon.
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

cjphipps_servo

Post Sun May 03, 2020 1:57 pm

Congratulations to all!

cjphipps_servo

Post Sun May 03, 2020 1:58 pm

Congratulations to all!

mclew

Post Sun May 03, 2020 8:22 pm

I enjoyed seeing all the entries and send congratulations to the winners! Many thoughtful portraits were shared in this contest with a timely theme.

Margaret

gillk

Post Mon May 04, 2020 6:05 am

Congratulations to Marisa and other winners. Neat to have a mood related topic ! Interesting submissions.
Gill

schultzy

Post Tue May 05, 2020 8:42 am

Thanks for the third place and congrats to all, especially to Marisa !

oracle0017

Post Tue May 05, 2020 4:36 pm

Congratulations Marisa on another wonderful photograph!

Board index PBase Show and Tell 549th Show & Tell Competition: Hope and Sorrow - WINNER