Board index PBase Show and Tell Help for improvements, please.

Show and Tell

Help for improvements, please.

Announce and discuss your photos.
orcinus_orca

Help for improvements, please.

Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:36 pm

Hi, I've been putting two pictures togheter. One of them is taken by me (the truck) and I found the background in Windows Xp. I've done a lot to make the truck fit in, but I'm not completely satisfied about it yet and I can't find any more errors, but something isn't right about it. Maybe you can tell me what's wrong?

The reflection is a bit creative... :D

thresholdprod

Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:21 pm

You need some sort of shadowing
Bill Freeman
"A picture may be worth a thousand words, but usually consumes the bandwidth of more than two thousand." --Gym Quirk
Many great words of wisdom and advice http://www.pbase.com/help http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

dannysmythe

Several issues

Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:19 pm

First of all, the truck is leaning forward. Rotate it clockwise until the vertical lines, in the center of the truck are plum. Second, the truck is way too small. Wouldn't the back tire be just about as high as a fence post, or about 3/4 as high? Your worst problem is that the lighting on the truck (bright daylight) doesn't match the landscape (soft haze). But you could darken the shadow under the truck dramatically and that would help. Judging by the shadows found in the rest of the truck, the drop shadow would be just about black. Hope this helps!

orcinus_orca

Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:52 pm

Damn, I lightened the shadows under the truck... :D
There isn't much room for enlarging the truck now.
How can I make it look like it's soft haze then? I'm not sure if using brightnes/contrast is the right thing here.
If you intend to look at my pictures don't be scared off by the cover image...

dannysmythe

Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:55 pm

"How can I make it look like it's soft haze then?" You can't. The nature of the shadows in the truck are high contrast, and that equals hard edges. The shadows in the background have soft edges. Bottom line... the truck will never work with this background, if your intention is to make it look real. Choose a background whose shadows match your subject. Very tricky. The background also has to match the perspective, and appear to be shot with the same focal length as the truck. It can be done, but it takes lots of trial and error. Of course if you don't care about it looking real, then you don't have to be so picky.

orcinus_orca

Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:53 pm

I've done to much with this pic to change the background now. :D
Here:
Added more red and yellow on the truck, improved the shadows, enlargedthe truck itself, tried to lower the fence, but that didn't look good at all.
If you intend to look at my pictures don't be scared off by the cover image...

Board index PBase Show and Tell Help for improvements, please.