Board index PBase Show and Tell Comments NEEDED BAD

Show and Tell

Comments NEEDED BAD

Announce and discuss your photos.
polyvios

Comments NEEDED BAD

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:50 pm

Honest comments required. I started a Still Life gallery 3 days back and I really REALLY need some comments to built on. Be cruel if you have to...

Polyvios

yalop

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:47 pm

You want it you got it:

Piano: while in some colors a non-focused blot of paint may create an "impresionistic" atmosphere it does not wotk with white. You must have the white in focus.

Key: To centred with nothing more to support the frame

The banjo: I would turn the image (or the instrument) 180 degrees - try it.

polyvios

Thnx

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:26 pm

I kinda knew the bit for the keys. I'll look into the rest! Thanks for both your comments and your time.

minoltaman

Post Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:39 pm

Desk...the lamp cord is unneccesary and distracting.

mandolin...what yalop said, the pic needs some sort of rotation.

piano....like yalops said again. This one has way to many keys oof.

I did not look at all of them but that is what I saw on the ones I did.

pstewart

Post Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:40 pm

Okay, here’s my first impression gut reaction.

Clown: Too much empty space on right...crop left and top. Or move clown to the right, but still do some cropping.

Cues: Too much empty space all around...crop, especially that flowered fabric and also the white blob on the right.

Nuts: Focus too soft on detailed/textured parts. The brain struggles to see the basket texture, for example. Keep soft focus for unimportant or indistinct background areas only.

Busy: I like this one...nice color and tone and lines.

Remember: Crop some off the left side.

Piano: I don’t mind the focus here...actually rather like the blurred look here, but I’d like the color more black and white, not sepia at all...maybe even bluish.

Mandolin: Nice pic, nice angles/lines.

Keys: Crop some off the left...eliminate that dark spot. A bit grainy overall especially in shadows...like it was enlarged from a smaller image or contrast was over-adjusted. Nice idea though, and I like the lighting direction. A second dimmer light on the other side would prevent those shadows from going black.

Security Chain: This would be a really great image if it were all in focus.

Your ideas here are good, and I like the colors and lines on most of these. Overall, I’d say you need to increase your depth of field to get better focus. And crop more closely in a lot of cases.

Hope this helps a bit. --Phyllis :)

polyvios

Hmmm...

Post Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:42 pm

Thanks to everyone for your comments!

To answer some of the comments, just to clear something up.

The clown was the FIRST still life I EVER did! So I kept it eventhough i know it's not really that good.

Nuts. Heh it was worth a shot.

Busy I did notice the cord but by the time I got the lighting right I lost it.

Piano: I like the softness so.... I'll try the blueish thing though it could be interesting

As for the rest thank you for your comments. I don't plan to remove the photos cause after all they are part of my work. I'll use the comments for the future though.

Thanks for all the comments (private and public)

PS. I haven't done ANY cropping on the photos.

Board index PBase Show and Tell Comments NEEDED BAD