Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets accidentally deleted style sheet

HTML and Style Sheets

accidentally deleted style sheet

Customize your galleries.
dpnew

accidentally deleted style sheet

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:34 pm

Hi,

I was trying to answer a question on this forum, and I wanted to experiment with one of the heavily modified sample styles I use for one of my galleries, but I accidentally hit 'delete' instead of 'edit'. Oh, well...all that work down the drain.

About 15 minutes later(I think), I went back into that gallery, and it had the same style. Even though I deleted the style sheet, the gallery was still displaying that style. I checked the style sheet name listed for the gallery, and sure enough it said "white standard" or "no style sheet", and the style I deleted was not listed anywhere.

So, I hurriedly viewed the source for the gallery, and put the link to the css style sheet into the address bar of a new browser window, and the style sheet I had deleted appeared. So, I copied the code, went into pbase, made a new stylesheet and pasted in the code.

Why was I able to do that? Anyway, if you accidentally delete a style sheet, all is not lost. pbase should also consider a confirmation when deleting anything.
Last edited by dpnew on Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matiasasun

Re: accidentally deleted style sheet

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:38 pm

I´m having some trouble with the changes over my style sheet. So please can somebody tell me:

1. The stylesheet is actually being saved as cache?

2. How long should we wait to see changes? or How much time does the PBase servers need to change the link to tell the change to the browser?

As far as I can tell looks like the changes are made in the style sheet, and after saving them they get reflected in the stylesheet page (as usual), but the galleries does not change... Not even after changhing from one stylesheet to another and then retyurning to the first one:

Code: Select all
-> From Style normal "a" to Style "b" => it changes

-> Back from Style "b" to the updated (new) Style "a" => Old design persist

Maybe it is just me, but I don´t think so.
Please somebody answer

//Edit: By some reason I edit the first post I wrote in this forum. It was erased. Sorry.
Matias, Chile - http://www.pbase.com/matiasasun
Resources, HOWTOs, Samples and more! - http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

lenightowl

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:00 am

It's not just you, matiasasun! :wink:
I made heavy changes to my style sheet over 12 hours ago, and my galleries are still displayed with the former style sheet, although i have DELETED it, it does not even exist in my style sheet list any longer....
Go figure! :wink:
Last edited by lenightowl on Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

lenightowl

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:03 am

Incidentally, dpnew, I suggested in the Requests Forum some time ago (but my post was superbly ignored) a change of colour for the "delete" button.... :cry:

matiasasun

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:10 am

Right! Changes does not get reflected no matter what. I can´t understand why, but I suppose it is something with the links between the stylesheet and the gallery itself over here (PBase).

By the way, you can call me Matias :oops:

// Now that I´m thinking it I need really quick responses... Cos I´m leaving a Mess at my site without ; I can check out what I´ve done to correct some small mistakes. I´ll stop for now, but I suppose the problem can be there torromow too.

lenightowl

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:43 am

matiasasun wrote:Right! Changes does not get reflected no matter what. I can´t understand why, but I suppose it is something with the links between the stylesheet and the gallery itself over here (PBase).

By the way, you can call me Matias :oops:

// Now that I´m thinking it I need really quick responses... Cos I´m leaving a Mess at my site without ; I can check out what I´ve done to correct some small mistakes. I´ll stop for now, but I suppose the problem can be there torromow too.

Hi Matias! :wink:
I feel the same... having to wait to "see" the effect of the changes is really too frustrating.
I used to enjoy seeing the effect on the galleries and thumbnails instantly.
Seeing the effect just on the style sheet page is not enough, you don't get the same "feeling" as on the gallery page.
I now dread seeing the result of what I did last night! :shock:

dpnew

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:47 am

There is something buggy going on at pbase. I just went into my galleries, and they had no style at all--there were images on blank white pages. I checked to make sure each one had a style sheet listed, and to my surprise the style sheet I mentioned I deleted in my first poast was magically listed for one of my galleries. I opened it up expecting it to be blank--since I deleted it--but all the code was there. I then went back to my gallery, clicked on "update gallery" and the style was applied--strange goings on.

Seeing the effect just on the style sheet page is not enough, you don't get the same "feeling" as on the gallery page.

Not to mention, things aren't always rendered the same on the update page. For instance, title backgrounds go all the way across the page width on the update page, even when the style dictates otherwise. You have to go to one of your galleries to see if it is correctly centered, left justified, etc.

dpnew

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:56 am

matiasasun,

I'm having some trouble with the changes over my style sheet.

This seems to work pretty well for me:

1) Get back to the gallery that has the style sheet you changed.
2) On the top of the page click on "edit gallery".
3) If you created a new style sheet, next to where it says "style sheet" you have to switch to the new style sheet
4)Click on the "Update Gallery" button. I think that's necessary to 'awaken' pbase so that pbase will make the changes.
5)On the top of the page, click on "Display Gallery".
6) If that doesn't seem to work, click "Refresh" on your browser.

ukexpat

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:58 pm

dpnew wrote:matiasasun,

I'm having some trouble with the changes over my style sheet.

This seems to work pretty well for me:

1) Get back to the gallery that has the style sheet you changed.
2) On the top of the page click on "edit gallery".
3) If you created a new style sheet, next to where it says "style sheet" you have to switch to the new style sheet
4)Click on the "Update Gallery" button. I think that's necessary to 'awaken' pbase so that pbase will make the changes.
5)On the top of the page, click on "Display Gallery".
6) If that doesn't seem to work, click "Refresh" on your browser.

Clearing your browser cache can help too....

matiasasun

Thanks

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:42 pm

Thanks to both Nigel and Dpnew, but looks like it was a problem with the servers that might affect the CSS yesterday. Today it looks like all changes are there.

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets accidentally deleted style sheet