Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Changing background color

HTML and Style Sheets

Changing background color

Customize your galleries.
ronhrl

Changing background color

Post Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:04 pm

I tried to change the background color of my main gallery and most of the others by changing BODY. background-color, but nothing happened.

BODY {
background-color : #8d7468;
}
A:link { color : #d5ae83}
A:hover { color:#FFFFCC;
text-decoration: underline; }
A:visited { color:#d5ae83; }
A:active { color : #d5ae83; }

The #8d7468 was the new color I wanted to try.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Ron

dpnew

Re: Changing background color

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:02 am

ronhrl wrote:I tried to change the background color of my main gallery and most of the others by changing BODY. background-color, but nothing happened.

BODY {
}
A:link { color : #d5ae83}
A:hover { color:#FFFFCC;
text-decoration: underline; }
A:visited { color:#d5ae83; }
A:active { color : #d5ae83; }

The #8d7468 was the new color I wanted to try.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Ron

Hi,

is the right property to change. It's hard to know what you did wrong. To see if there was an inobvious technical problem with the code, I pasted your code into one of my galleries and it works, although if that's the extent of the style sheet, you most likely will be disappointed.

If you made the change to the correct style sheet(the one listed for your gallery), and you saved the change by clicking on the "Update CSS" button, then you just need to get your browser to display the change.

This is what I do. After I click on the "Update CSS" button to save the changes and see a preview of the changes, I click on the "back to gallery" link under the "Update CSS" button. That takes me back to my root gallery, which is not entirely obvious because I would expect to be taken back to the gallery I just edited. So, I have to scroll down and click on the thumbnail for the gallery I just edited to get back to it. Then, I click on "edit this gallery" at the top of the page, and that takes me inside the gallery specifics. Once inside, if I created a new version of the old style sheet which I saved under a different name, I have to change the style sheet listed to the one I just created. On the other hand, if I made changes to the existing style sheet, the correct style sheet is listed.

Then, I click on the "Update Gallery" gallery button in the middle of the page. A lot of times that still doesn't do the trick because my browser stubbornly uses the old page that is cached. To remedy that, I have to click on the Refresh button in my browser. Sometimes that doesn't even seem to work, so I close the browser window and log back into pbase in a new window to see the changes. Sometimes I think pbase just needs a minute or two to update everything, so all the above may just be fruitless.

ukexpat

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:27 pm

I have found that it is very worthwhile to run your style sheets through a CSS validator, like the one at the W3C site: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator. When I did that, their system pointed out 4 errors that were easy to correct.
Last edited by ukexpat on Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronhrl

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:18 pm

Thanks for your help. The problem seemed to be a very long delay in Pbase to accept and make the changes; a few hours later, the change took place. Then I changed it back to the original color, and it took several more hours to take effect.

Ron

srijith

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:27 pm

PBase stylesheet changes are instantaneous. It must the bowser cache acting up again..

matiasasun

Utility: RGB Hexadecimal Color & Chart

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:02 pm

By the way:
Here is a useful link with information about the codes & numbers for the colors in Hexadecimal, some charts with data, and some other information:
http://www.hypersolutions.org/rgb.html
Very useful for the quick changes in our stylesheets. 8)
Matias, Chile - http://www.pbase.com/matiasasun
Resources, HOWTOs, Samples and more! - http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Changing background color