Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets padding seems to have stopped working

HTML and Style Sheets

padding seems to have stopped working

Customize your galleries.
jklofft

padding seems to have stopped working

Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:50 am

I used padding to create a mat between the image and the border with the recent change to inline style sheets it does seem to work anymore. Any ideas? Thanks.

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:30 am

hi. sorry for the trouble.

have you already made changes to fix this?
i see the padding around the thumbnails in Firefox,Safari and IE on a Mac.

-slug

arachnophilia

Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:26 am

slug wrote:i see the padding around the thumbnails in Firefox,Safari and IE on a Mac.

it seems to be selectively broken in ie 6 for pc.

it's an odd day when something works in netscape for me, but not ie. normally it's the other way around.

what it's doing is not putting the padding on around the defined td sizes. instead, it seems to be just putting on padding when it's there, or just putting on the definite sizes when they're there.

i'm working on a way around it in my style sheet, because it REALLY messes up my gallery.

jklofft

Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:18 pm

I tried updating IE to IE6 SP1, but no dice it still does not work. I'll keep trying things as well and post if I find a solution.

jklofft

Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:15 pm

If this is really an IE issue, why did it work before and not now?

alangrant

Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:17 pm

I have a similar issue since the switch to linked style sheets. It happens to be very minor in my case - the e-mail address (actually an image) on my main page has suddenly become squashed up against the left of the page in IE6. But the reason is the same - the padding on the IMG is being ignored. It was always like this in IE5 but I wasn't too concerned about that.

I think this page may be relevant: CSS Enhancements in Internet Explorer 6.

In particular:

Padding properties, such as padding, padding-bottom, padding-top, padding-left, and padding-right, are supported on IMG elements. Earlier versions of Internet Explorer do not support the padding properties on IMG elements.

So it appears that padding on IMG elements won't work on IE versions before IE6. But if I'm reading the document correctly, even in IE6 it will only work if a DOCTYPE is used to switch on standards-compliant mode. As there is no DOCTYPE in PBase galleries, the page will render in 'quirks' mode, preserving all the flaws of IE5.

So it seems that applying padding to an image won't work in any version of IE as PBase now stands. But I must admit this doesn't explain how it used to work. The only thing I can think of is that somehow the positioning of the inline CSS affects the strict/quirks mode, but I don't really understand how that could be the case.

Sorry this doesn't really get you closer to a solution - other than the rather impractical one of telling all your page visitors to ditch IE and get a proper browser!
Alan
Travel Photos - http://www.pbase.com/alangrant
Balkanology: Explore Southeast Europe - http://www.balkanology.com/

alangrant

Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:20 pm

Actually I have just realised that in my case the padding on that particular image is still inline, as I applied it to that specific element in my user description, rather than within my main stylesheet. That makes it even stranger that things apparently changed at the same time as linked stylesheets.

(By the way I have fixed my problem by applying the padding to a DIV rather than the IMG - just in case anyone is looking at my page wondering what I am talking about).
Alan
Travel Photos - http://www.pbase.com/alangrant
Balkanology: Explore Southeast Europe - http://www.balkanology.com/

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets padding seems to have stopped working