Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Help!! It looks terrible! Re font size mistake

HTML and Style Sheets

Help!! It looks terrible! Re font size mistake

Customize your galleries.
tivoli

Help!! It looks terrible! Re font size mistake

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:58 pm

I can't figure it out, in my root gallery (?) all the albums have this huge text with dark coloring on the thumbnails, which I don't know how I did. Yet, when you click on any album, the font size on the thumbnails is a much better size, although I may want it a bit biger.

How do I change it on the root gallery, with all the albums? Thank you.

http://www.pbase.com/susanckd/galleries

hanacaraka

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:17 pm

hi Susan.....you have go to your "all gallery" ......then "edit root gallery".....at style sheet choose "edit style sheet"...then "edit your style"....look at this section :
---------------
div,th,tr,table,font,li,ul,form,
blockquote,p,b,i,h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,font, center {
border: 0px;
color: rgb(152, 152, 152);
font: 12px verdana, arial, sans-serif;
}
---------------
change your font size with smaller size and don't forget to "updated CSS" and done.....

anyway i like your nature gallery....bye

:P

tivoli

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:30 pm

Yes, I did that. In the beginning, I selected an individual album to work with a style sheet, not the entire root gallery, so when I made a change, it affected all the albums, but not the root gallery, (for the font). You can see that the colors are all the same throughout the root plus the individual albums, but the text in the root gallery is different.

The point is, when I tried to change this in the root gallery and then selected "update css" it showed the change in the individual gallery that I started out with, even though I selected the root gallery in which to make the change. Hope that's clear. And, so, you can see below, it says 9px for the font, and the font is clearly bigger than that in the root gallery, yet the root gallery is what I chose to make this change. Any more thoughts please?

div,th,tr,table,font,li,ul,form,
blockquote,p,b,i,h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,font, center {
border: 0px;
color: #666600
font: 9px verdana, arial, sans-serif;

tivoli

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:41 pm

It definitely has something to do with me having worked FIRST with an individual album, "denmark" and possibly making that the root gallery(?) rather than experimenting with the root gallery first, when I began working with a new css stylesheet. Now, every time I "update css" it goes right to the denmark gallery.

tivoli

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:06 pm

Now I have it right, and when I click on "update css" it updates correctly, but when I go back to the gallery, it's a different style sheet. And, when I select that css stylesheet, it comes up a different one. But, going into that style sheet to work on it, it shows the correct colors, etc. that I chose. I just cannot see it on the outside, even when I select that stylesheet. What's that all about? I see it when I work on it, but not when I select it after working on it.

alangrant

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:30 pm

From a quick look at your gallery I think you may have got things the way you want now, so you probably don't need this. But I just wanted to mention that the "edit stylesheet" page isn't really associated with any particular gallery. If you change a stylesheet, changes will show up in all galleries that use that particular stylesheet - it doesn't matter which gallery you were in just before you started the editing. Not sure if that's what was confusing you.
Alan
Travel Photos - http://www.pbase.com/alangrant
Balkanology: Explore Southeast Europe - http://www.balkanology.com/

tivoli

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:11 pm

No, it's nothing like I changed it. Now I'm really confused. Here's what I did:

1. I changed my root gallery to webdev, then I displayed it.

2. Then, I copied the "view source" and put that into a new style sheet called "test 3".

3. Then I updated the css sheet. Looks perfect. All I changed was the opacity, just to see a simple change. I saw it.

4. Then, I clicked on "back to gallery" and selected "test 3" to check it again. It does not show it, yet it says "test 3". It shows something totally different. Please tell me what I could have done wrong.

tivoli

Post Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:53 pm

Had my computer geek son look at this. He tested it in an html editor which showed that it was fine with the very few changes I made. Could it be there is something wrong with the site?

tivoli

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:28 am

I'm putting in my time. I'm not just asking questions without checking. I'm putting in hours and hours, searching, reading, looking.

My latest clue is this: From what I have read, I am supposed to put in the html between style this and style that or something like that. Well, I did get the source code for webdev, and I have taken

a. the entire source from my root gallery and pasted it in a new sheet

b. various parts of the code at the top of the webdev source code all around/between the "style" words, etc., numerous times, and none of which works.

The only thing that worked was to copy/paste the entire source code from my root gallery page, work to change that in a new style sheet, which is updated successfully, seeing changes made, BUT it cannot be seen in public! In other words, I "update CSS", then "go back to gallery", then select that style sheet, then display the gallery, then it defaults to no style sheet.

What could I be doing wrong if I see the style sheet while working on it but not in public?

alangrant

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:14 pm

Hi Susan,

I think this is one of those questions that's quite hard to help with without actually sitting beside you looking at your screen. Here are a couple of things that probably won't solve the problem but might help narrow it down:

(1) When I am making changes to a style sheet, I usually have two browser windows open. In one of them I edit the style sheet. In the other I display a gallery that uses the style sheet I am editing. After hitting the "update CSS" button and getting the "updated style sheet" message, rather than going back to the gallery in the same browser window, I switch to the other browser and hit refresh/reload. If the changes have been saved properly you should see them at this point. I find this quicker than moving to and fro between the gallery and the stylesheet.

(2) Whenever you make changes, put an easily identifiable comment at the top of your style sheet, something like /* Susan's style sheet, attempt number 23 */, changing the number each time. If the gallery doesn't display as you expect, view source and see if the comment is there. If it isn't there, or if it displays an earlier number, this might give a clue as to what is going wrong.

If you can report back on what happens when you try these I will try to help further.
Alan
Travel Photos - http://www.pbase.com/alangrant
Balkanology: Explore Southeast Europe - http://www.balkanology.com/

tivoli

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:34 pm

Thank you Alan. I tried your method, which is really the same type of thing that I was attempting, just with 2 windows rather than switching back and forth.

When the page is updated, it shows it correctly, based on the changes I made.BUT, it does not show in public. It reverts to no style sheet.

Again, I copied/pasted the entire source code from webdev. If I should not have done that, could you please copy/paste what DOES work both private and publicly? Private only meaning while I'm working on it. thanks. I'm so frustrated, but determined.

robert

CSS

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:40 am

Susan:

The only thing private is the CSS editor. Once you update your sheet, it becomes public assuming it is a public gallery.

The pbase servers can be very slow to update style sheets. I don't know why. Sometimes, it takes 10-15 minutes for a change to the editor to show up on the gallery. You have to check 'view source' to make sure the code has changed.

Also, the 'main gallery' style sheet does not affect the individual galleries. This is is a bit confusing as a gallery style sheet controls a photo's sheet. Each gallery has it's own style sheet.

I ran your main page through a CSS validator and it shows quite a few errors remaining. http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-uri.html

You might want to start again and change things slowly.. one at a time.

Robert

tivoli

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:13 am

Well, after looking deeper into the forum past pages, I found a description by slug for exactly what to put into the css stylesheet and it worked. i started simply by just changing the opacity, and it is now public. So, I can start to make other changes now that it shows in public. Thanks very much.

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Help!! It looks terrible! Re font size mistake