Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Can u change default browser view frm "large" to &

HTML and Style Sheets

Can u change default browser view frm "large" to &

Customize your galleries.
scaudill

Can u change default browser view frm "large" to &

Post Thu May 20, 2004 3:51 pm

I notice that when you have an original (larger than 800 x 600) that is really sharp and clean it doesn't look that good when viewed in your gallery using the "large" link (the browser resizes it down to 800 x 600) - it tends to look blurry and pixilated.
And since people's browsers default to the "large" size, I was thinking I might have to simply resize all my photos to 800 x 600 (large size).

(If you resize a photo to 800 x 600 and it looks sharp and clean at that size, then it will be displayed as such - b/c the browser doesn't resize it).

But I would like to know if there is a way to make people's browsers to default to "original" size when clicking on a thumbnail.

Is there a way to change the default setting from "large" to "original"?
Thanks,
Steve

srijith

Re: Can u change default browser view frm "large"

Post Fri May 21, 2004 10:55 am

scaudill wrote:And since people's browsers default to the "large" size, I was thinking I might have to simply resize all my photos to 800 x 600 (large size).

No, there is no browser default as such.. The way it works is that the pbase system saves a cookie in the browser as to what size of image you like to view. So if you click on the "large", the default is set to large, until you click on the "original", after which the default is set to "original".

Of course, your browser should be set to allow cookies from pbase.com site to be set on the machine.

scaudill

Post Fri May 21, 2004 12:45 pm

Yeah, I figured out that it was a cookie setting....
But I guess what I'm trying to say is that it seems that when a user who has never been pbase opens a gallery (for the very first time) it uses the "large" view of 800x600 - I could be wrong - but it seems that it does that - I was just wondering if you could change that first initial view to "original" instead of "large"....
Thanks for your help,
Steve

srijith

Post Mon May 24, 2004 8:05 am

I gues the problem with making "Original" as default is that a lot of users upload huge pics as original and even a broadband user might find a 2~3 MB file annoying.

The right way would be to let the pbase user decide what should be his gallery's default image size.. I think it is one of the frequently requested items..

jankphoto

Post Mon May 24, 2004 4:01 pm

A very valid point.

As to making it an option for the user, I agree. I'd like to upload my photos at a reasonable size (anywhere from 800x600 to 1024 at the largest) and then set my viewing default as "original"...all under the idea that pbase compression wouldn't kick in and photos are viewed the same as how I saved them.

So set the default to large or even medium for those users that don't know better but give us the option for setting the default to original.

Thanks,
David

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Can u change default browser view frm "large" to &