Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Can u change default browser view frm "large" to &

HTML and Style Sheets

Can u change default browser view frm "large" to &

Customize your galleries.
scaudill

Can u change default browser view frm "large" to &

Post Thu May 20, 2004 3:47 pm

I notice that when you have an original (larger than 800 x 600) that is really sharp and clean it doesn't look that good when viewed in your gallery using the "large" link (the browser resizes it down to 800 x 600) - it tends to look blurry and pixilated.
And since people's browsers default to the "large" size, I was thinking I might have to simply resize all my photos to 800 x 600 (large size).

(If you resize a photo to 800 x 600 and it looks sharp and clean at that size, then it will be displayed as such - b/c the browser doesn't resize it).

But I would like to know if there is a way to make people's browsers to default to "original" size when clicking on a thumbnail.

Is there a way to change the default setting from "large" to "original"?
Thanks,
Steve

lord_of_the_badgers

Post Thu May 20, 2004 4:01 pm

you're referring to an internet explorer effect, i think, that resizes pictures for you rather crudely (hence the horrible look). You can switch it off I think, but i don't know how.

if you mean, "can I change the screen resolution of a user" then the answer is a very big NO. You would need to write a virus like program to do this - taking control of someone's PC to this effect is not nice :)

I'm afraid it is always a trade off.

My best advice is, if this really bothers you is to resize all your images to 762 px across max. this should take into account the scroll bar.

in actual fact, none of my images exceed 800 px tall or wide. sure, if someone's running at 800x600 they have to scroll, but its not too bad.

people will always have the familiar pbase size options when viewing. Remember, what viewing you like is something someone else might hate. Monitors & computer specs notwithstanding.

soz.. bit of a long answer...

scaudill

Post Thu May 20, 2004 9:22 pm

Thanks for the reply.
But actually I'm not referring to the IE effect. There is a setting in the IE browser - Tools - Internet Options - Advanced Tab - Browsing - "Automatic Resizing of Images".
But this is NOT what I'm referring to.

See, if I post a picture at 1024 x 768 and a user goes to my gallery and clicks on a picture for the first time, the picture will come up as 800 x 600. I guess pbase resizes the image so a user with a smaller resolution can see it without scrolling. The only complaint I have is that my pics look really bad after they've been resized like that - very hazy and blury. At 1024 x 768 - they look really sharp.

So, a user would have to click on "Original" to see it at its true native sharpness and clarity.

therefore, all I wanted to do was to see if I could have "original" (the native size) be the default size, when someone clicks on my photos for the first time. If they decide they want the smaller resolution afterwards then they could click on "large"..... know what I mean?

So far the only solution I see is to resize my images to 800 x 600 and post them - therefore they are not automatically resized and don't end up looking somewhat blury and hazy..... but I really want to post them 1024 x 768...... Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again,
Steve

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Can u change default browser view frm "large" to &