HTML and Style Sheets

Two background images

Customize your galleries.
arjunrc

Two background images

Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:48 pm

Hello,
please see http://www.pbase.com/arjunrc

Just like I have one image to the right, I want to put an image to the left of the screen as well. Is it possible to have 2 URLs in the BODY tag in CSS ? Is so, Id like to know how.

Also, can someone please tell me if mozilla and/or opera renders my page correctly ?

regds
arjun

(PS: I dont want one big image that spans left to right - too much bandwidth wastage)

canadiancraig

Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:48 pm

Well, I don't know about having multiple background images. I would doubt it's possible without turning them into one image.

Your page displays fine in Mozilla Firebird, but the blocks surrounding the pictures don't show though it is possible. I don't know how important that is for you, but if you want to see how it's done, take a look at the style sheet for this gallery.

arjunrc

CSS validator

Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:20 am

Craig, Thankyou.

Ive adopted your thumbnail format for more compatibility.

Also, I ran the CSS on my site thru the w3 CSS validator and it gives me one error:

Invalid number : font-sizeonly 0 can be a length. You must put an unit after your number : 12

I dont find any occurrence of using 12 without a unit in my CSS part. Would you please let me know whats wrong ? Id like CSS thats fully validated.

thanks
arjun

canadiancraig

Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:19 am

Well, I looked through your style sheet and couldn't find the number/unit value either. It all looks fine to me. For some reason though, the CSS Validator doesn't want to work for me tonight.

If you really want your gallery to look its best in both browsers, I'd suggest getting Mozilla Firebird since it's a relatively small browser and it'll show you how things look to Mozilla users. There's a little bit more work you could do to clean up your style sheet from that point of view, but it's not critical, IMO.

srijith

Re: CSS validator

Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:11 am

arjunrc wrote:Also, I ran the CSS on my site thru the w3 CSS validator and it gives me one error:

Invalid number : font-sizeonly 0 can be a length. You must put an unit after your number : 12

I dont find any occurrence of using 12 without a unit in my CSS part. Would you please let me know whats wrong ? Id like CSS thats fully validated.

Could be because of this. Unless the HTML is valid, it is sometimes difficult to get a correct CSS validation.

arjunrc

Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:05 pm

Thanks srijith.

At first glance I dont see a direct relation between these errors and the CSS error - but I do understand your point about one error confusing the interpreter to produce another (though Ive seen this happen in more complex cyclic parse trees such as language compilers - its surprising this should happen in a simple parse tree such as CSS vs. HTML)

Anyway, Ill make peace with it now, especially since I had minimal idea of CSS till yesterday ;-)

Thanks
arjun

arjunrc

Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:11 pm

canadiancraig wrote:Well, I looked through your style sheet and couldn't find the number/unit value either. It all looks fine to me. For some reason though, the CSS Validator doesn't want to work for me tonight.

If you really want your gallery to look its best in both browsers, I'd suggest getting Mozilla Firebird since it's a relatively small browser and it'll show you how things look to Mozilla users. There's a little bit more work you could do to clean up your style sheet from that point of view, but it's not critical, IMO.

Craig, I did install firebird - I noticed my thumbnails are 'stuck together' from row 2 onwards. Can you educate me on what I need to clean up ?

Thanks

arjunrc

solved

Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:44 am

arjunrc wrote:
Craig, I did install firebird - I noticed my thumbnails are 'stuck together' from row 2 onwards. Can you educate me on what I need to clean up ?

Thanks

Ok,thanks please ignore. I visited webdevs page after he split the IE and Moz code and corrected mine as well. Solvedl

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Two background images