Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Source Code: copy from where to where

HTML and Style Sheets

Source Code: copy from where to where

Customize your galleries.
alexhoggarth

Source Code: copy from where to where

Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:12 pm

I am a little confused when you right-clik on a page that you like and view source, and you wish to use this as a base for your own, I'd like to know what code you cut out - i.e. from which word to which word - It seems certain to me that you don't copy the entire text. I thought you have to copy until it says END OF MENU BAR or till it starts the BODY, but I am still unclear on that.

ilanphoto

Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:47 pm

First of all I am sure I do not know more than you.
What I did the other day was print out the source from my gallery and the source from the gallery I liked and found out where there are differences. I then pasted these differences into my CSS file and within a couple of hours of playing around I got what I wanted: A background picture and a running bar across the top. I am very proud of myself as I it was mostly guessing what change will affect where?
Hope this helps
If you have specific questions let me know and I will try to help
Ilan

alangrant

Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:58 pm

I think quite a few people are unsure about this so I have tried to spell it out step by step here.

When you view the source of a gallery you want to base your style on, you only want to copy the CSS code that defines the style of the sheet, not any of the actual content. This CSS code is enclosed between <style> tags. So look for this line near the top of the sheet:

Code: Select all
<style type="text/css">

and this line further down:

Code: Select all
</style>

Copy everything between those two lines (but not the lines themselves, these will be inserted automatically).

Then edit a gallery and choose to create a new style sheet. You will be presented with some basic style sheet code - delete this and replace it with the code you copied.

Don't make any changes at first - just click the 'update CSS' button and display your gallery. If it looks like the gallery you copied from, everything has worked OK. You now have your own style sheet, and can start experimenting with different colours and so on.

Hope this helps.
Alan
Travel Photos - http://www.pbase.com/alangrant
Balkanology: Explore Southeast Europe - http://www.balkanology.com/

alexhoggarth

Post Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:03 am

excellent, that was very clear - thank you!

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Source Code: copy from where to where