Problem with Thumbnail display

Customize your galleries.
lenightowl

Problem with Thumbnail display

Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:20 pm

Hi!
Could anyone tell me why in my gallery here:
http://www.pbase.com/thenightowl/greeting_cards
The image is not centred on the thumbnail background.
I have used the CSS style sheet as provided in the samples (I wouldn't know how to modify one, even if I wanted to! LOL)
I have other galleries using the same CSS, I created this one today, and I'm at a loss to understand why the display of the thumbnails is different.
Any help/explanation would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Marie H.

ilanphoto

Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:49 pm

I looked at this gallery and the thumbs look fine to me. The pictures look great. Anyhow happy to see you here as well
Regards
Ilan

srijith

Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:21 pm

Just like for Ilan, the thumbnails do look centered for on OPera 7.23, Build 3227, Platform Win32, System Windows 2000. Might be a browser incompatability issue. Which browser gave you problem?

mikelly

OK, with Mozilla Firebird 0.7 -- Off-center with MSIE 6

Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:28 pm

MSIE 6 browser is off-center to the left. Firebird is centered.

Mike

alangrant

Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:14 pm

Hi,

I have come across similar issues with the AlexC stylesheet, which I think you are also using. It doesn't seem to reliably centre the thumbnails (at least in Internet Explorer). This isn't noticeable if you use the default settings (4 columns, table width 75%), but appears if you create extra space around the thumbnails (by increasing the width or having fewer columns).

I have found that removing the line
width: 200px
from the stylesheet seems to fix the problem, although I have no idea why. This is the approach I have used for this gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/alangrant/oldscans

I am a little worried that this line might have been included in the first place to prevent some other problem, so if anyone happens to read this and notices anything odd about the layout of my gallery, please let me know!

If you want to try changing the stylesheet as I have described, there are instructions at http://www.srijith.net/pbasefaq/ in he HTML/CSS section.

I suppose the other options are to play around with the gallery settings, for example increasing the cell padding or having 4 columns, or to simply use a different stylesheet.

Hope this is of some help

Alan

lenightowl

Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:52 pm

Thanks for all the replies, I don't know why it struck me in this particular gallery, since in fact all thumbnails are displayed the same way in my other galleries using this same style sheet (slightly off centred to the left).
I don't know how to edit an existing style sheet, so I can't try Alan's idea, which seems a good solution, from what I see.
I'll look further into this, and try to edit the settings, to see the result on the display.
Thanks again (and hello to Ilan!)
;-) Marie H.

lenightowl

Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:12 pm

Changing the settings (table width, cell spacing & cell padding) did the trick quite satisfactorily!
Thanks again for the help!
;-) Marie H.

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Problem with Thumbnail display