Board index PBase Feature Requests Direct linking AGAIN

Feature Requests

Direct linking AGAIN

Request changes or modifications.
annayu

Direct linking AGAIN

Post Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:31 am

I just would like to repeat the request for tracing these links. Today I found 394 direct links (!!!) to one of my pictures, which makes me very perplexed.

http://www.pbase.com/image/32099493

Anyone find this somewhere on the net pls tell me.

I would delete the picture and upload it with another pbase id, but then the comments would be gone.

Thx/Anna

:?

sheila

Post Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:45 am

You can still retain the comments if you Edit image, scroll down to Upload image to replace .....etc. I would suggest that you replace the image with one which has an embedded watermark (which can be done in Photoshop and other software programs).

If you do not want direct linking, I suggest you email slug@pbase.com and ask him to remove the ability to direct link. But that means even you cannot direct link to other forums.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

annayu

Post Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:51 am

Sheila, that's a good idea about replacing the image with one with a watermark. However, by just replacing it this way the url will be retained and so will the links. Maybe I should just replace it with a picture of a pig or something.

:twisted:

Thanks for the watermark reminder/Anna

mckovich

Who will pay extra?

Post Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:33 pm

I would pay a bit of a premium to be able to trace the direct links - several hundred I discovered just today! - to my images. Perhaps other would also be willing to pay for that add-on. I know that many pbase users arehere because it is an economical and simple interface for sharing family photos and they would likely prefer to hold the cost down. But, how about the rest of us?

Would you be willing to pay a small surcharge to have your direct links traced?

Maureen

enigmawmn

Re: Who will pay extra?

Post Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:22 am

mpulignano wrote:Would you be willing to pay a small surcharge to have your direct links traced?

Without hesitation.

mckovich

Re: Who will pay extra?

Post Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:26 am

enigmawmn wrote:
mpulignano wrote:Would you be willing to pay a small surcharge to have your direct links traced?

Without hesitation.

Maybe we should repost this question as a new topic - see how many responses we get?

chonchat

Post Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:10 am

Both my hands up on this feature to be activated. Leeching is a menace nowadays. I don't mind paying a bit more to get the tracing done, so that we can take the necessary actions and demand for payment!
Kind Regards
TOCK Chon Chat
http://www.pbase.com/chonchat

jypsee

Re: Direct linking AGAIN

Post Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:06 am

annayu2 wrote:I just would like to repeat the request for tracing these links. Today I found 394 direct links (!!!) to one of my pictures, which makes me very perplexed.

http://www.pbase.com/image/32099493

Anyone find this somewhere on the net pls tell me.

I would delete the picture and upload it with another pbase id, but then the comments would be gone.

Thx/Anna

:?

Anna, any time you post your photo in any way, either by giving the link or by posting it in a gallery (CSLR challenge, PAD favorite, for example) then when someone clicks on that page they've "direct linked" to it.

HTH
jypsee

snobunny61

Post Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:01 pm

How do you see how many direct links you have had? Where do I look to see this?

ilanphoto

Post Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:14 pm

snobunny61 wrote:How do you see how many direct links you have had? Where do I look to see this?

In the picture view on the botom left there is a counter for hits and another for direct links, the number is basicly meaningless but if it is one or greater it has been linked to
(Post 500 :D )

annayu

Re: Direct linking AGAIN

Post Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:38 pm

[quote
Anna, any time you post your photo in any way, either by giving the link or by posting it in a gallery (CSLR challenge, PAD favorite, for example) then when someone clicks on that page they've "direct linked" to it.

HTH
jypsee[/quote]

Jypsee are you sure about that? I don't direct link to the cslr challenge. PAD favorite, is that Alon's site?

cloftis

Links to Pbase photos

Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:14 am

I agree - a fee to trace links is of interest to me. Is this possible ?
On custom sites I think this is possible. I have dozens & dozens of links to some of my photos - I am interested to see if these are used commercially - as I have specifically forbidden that practice.

bluemars

Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:37 pm

direct links are basicaly image hits offsite (outside pbase) right? then this number does not specifically refer to the number of outgoing links, right?

(appoligies if my jargon is incorrect)

-cba

bauer

Post Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:24 am

Would be also interested to trace the direct links I have a lot of it on my travel images,if these are used commercially in travel magazins.

dougj

Post Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:52 am

annayu2 wrote:Sheila, that's a good idea about replacing the image with one with a watermark. However, by just replacing it this way the url will be retained and so will the links. Maybe I should just replace it with a picture of a pig or something.

:twisted:

Hi Anna,

LOL, last year someone found another website that had linked to an image without approval. They did what you suggest and the result was quite humerous.

Your galleries look great BTW, you've been busy!

Next

Board index PBase Feature Requests Direct linking AGAIN