Board index PBase Feature Requests When will my photos be searchable?

Feature Requests

When will my photos be searchable?

Request changes or modifications.
wdkg

When will my photos be searchable?

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:01 am

I became a paying customer of PBase one week ago, and my photos are still not showing up in searches. How often is the index being updated?

kstuebin

Good luck..

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:39 am

I have emailed Pbase three times in the past two weeks trying to figure out how this new search engine even works. Twice to the contact link and once directly to Emily. No response.

It appears to me that the words you're plugging in have to appear in the title of the shot to get it ranked first. So what are the keywords for?

ilanphoto

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:17 pm

You could read the statement on the search engine page just above the text box
"14-June-2004 - This is a completely new search engine for PBase which is still in development.
It needs much refinement, and may suffer from slowness or other technical problems at first, but it now online for testing.
The search index will not update for about two weeks, but then it should keep itself updated very often."

Give them a bit of time and all will be fine :D

wdkg

Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:59 pm

ilanphoto wrote:You could read the statement on the search engine page just above the text box
"14-June-2004 - This is a completely new search engine for PBase which is still in development.
It needs much refinement, and may suffer from slowness or other technical problems at first, but it now online for testing.
The search index will not update for about two weeks, but then it should keep itself updated very often."

Give them a bit of time and all will be fine :D

I have seen the message about the new search engine being tested, but I don't recall the line about the search index not being updated. Could that have been added after June 14? Anyway, the update should not take long now.

kstuebin

Just checked the search enging

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:20 pm

And it's been 15 days and it's still not updating. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even work. The only way the search words bring up photos or galleries is if they're in the title. Let's say for example I live in Montana and I have sunset pic. Well, I can't call it "Moutain Colors." I have to call it something like "Montana Sunset." Ditto for all my other shots. I'd have "Montana Dog," "Montana Lake" etc. As for the galleries, I couldn't have "Moutain Views." It would have to be "Moutain Views in Montana."

And it's all a moot point anyway, since it's not updating. For now, you can call it anything you want. Makes no difference.

If you ask me, the old search engine worked better. It just needed to be updated more often.

kstuebin

Also..

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:23 pm

I'm on my fifth message asking about the search engine and still no response from Pbase after three weeks. I'd say that's not poor customer service. That's nonexistant customer service.

wdkg

Index updated

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:31 pm

I thought the PBase staff had gone on a holiday and left us with an imperfect search engine and an index that had not been updated. But now the update has taken place, although the message on top op the search page is still there.

Board index PBase Feature Requests When will my photos be searchable?