Board index PBase Feature Requests Joining the choir for camera list update

Feature Requests

Joining the choir for camera list update

Request changes or modifications.
goislands

Joining the choir for camera list update

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi:

I know that some recent technical problems have had a priority, but the fact is that camera/lens list is not always updated on time, or not at all. Someone does the recent changes for some, that is: I see Canon EOS-7D for example.

Our new travel camera Panasonic Lumix FZ35 or also known as FZ38 is not in the DB. I requested this a long ago using the usual email channel, to no avail. In this forum I have seen several similar requests.

Would you consider to make some long term users "camera base managers" on a voluntary base? We could maintain the list, one person for one or more specific brands of expertise! This might provide a help and speedup the content of the list. I could do Nikon. I have also a Canon system, but I do not see myself as an expert in their stuff. One long, long time miss is the Nikon 80-200 F/2.8 in the single ring focus/zoom ring. This is not the same lens like the much later 80-200 F/2.8 with two separate rings! See Bratchko, Complete Nikon system.

Thomas

jypsee

Re: Joining the choir for camera list update

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:14 am

You'll get better results if you send an email to cameras@pbase.com.

Here's the pertinent info from the help pages:

How do I add cameras or lenses to the database?
If the camera database at http://www.pbase.com/cameras is missing something, please send an email to cameras@pbase.com and we'll add it as soon as we can.

If you have photos of the actual cameras you would like to contribute, we'd love to have them.
You could either email them as attachments to cameras@pbase.com or if you already have them on PBase, let us know which gallery they are in.

If you want your photos to show up as samples taken with a camera or lens, just set the camera or lens type by editing the image. Then the next time the camera sample database updates, your photos should be listed.

Eventually we hope to make the camera database more easily editable by anyone. So that you can add information about or photos of the cameras yourself.

goislands

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:18 pm

jypsee wrote:You'll get better results if you send an email to cameras@pbase.com.

As much I appreciate the reply, maybe you should re-read the messages: We know that, cameras@pbase.com, sure, what's new ?

The issue here is that we send, resend, and than re-resend the missing camera or a missing lens info, and see no change in the Camera DB, sometimes for many months, or even years. Thus considering the technical issues in the recent times, comparable to the moderators here in the forums, maybe we could also have moderators for the equipment database. This is the spirit of this idea. This time spend on the equipment database would be than spared from the regular maintenance and development of PBase functionality.

jypsee

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:47 pm

Strange.... I've had no problem getting cameras added...sorry to rain on your parade.

pinemikey

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:31 am

goislands wrote:
jypsee wrote:You'll get better results if you send an email to cameras@pbase.com.

As much I appreciate the reply, maybe you should re-read the messages: We know that, cameras@pbase.com, sure, what's new ?

The issue here is that we send, resend, and than re-resend the missing camera or a missing lens info, and see no change in the Camera DB, sometimes for many months, or even years. Thus considering the technical issues in the recent times, comparable to the moderators here in the forums, maybe we could also have moderators for the equipment database. This is the spirit of this idea. This time spend on the equipment database would be than spared from the regular maintenance and development of PBase functionality.

It's actually updated quite often. For instance, I bought a new Olympus SP-565UZ as my point and shoot last year and the Camera Database for it has been updated monthly and pretty well has the number of images I have uploaded with that camera.

I suggest you do as jypsee advised and sent the info to cameras@pbase.com or maybe a line over to support@pbase.com.

goislands

Post Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:03 pm

pinemikey wrote:
goislands wrote:

It's actually updated quite often. For instance, I bought a new Olympus SP-565UZ as my point and shoot last year and the Camera Database for it has been updated monthly and pretty well has the number of images I have uploaded with that camera.

I suggest you do as jypsee advised and sent the info to cameras@pbase.com or maybe a line over to support@pbase.com.

So how can you explain the number of requests for updates in this forum? If you watch NCIS on occasion, agent Gibbs makes excellent point to pointless sentences "And that helps me how, DiNozzo?"

I can of course re-re-resend my FZ35 to cameras@pbase.com as I did already since, what, Sep, Oct 2009, sure, but I do not feel well about shelling someone with identical request. If your camera has been added, you are a lucky devil. I am one of the many waiting... a bit longer.
Anyway, there is nothing wrong in the idea of volunteering effort for the PBase community.

I thank you all for your combined effort in assuring us that we do something wrong.

pinemikey

Post Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Well, if that's your attitude, pal, to take out your frustrations out on ANYONE who dares not to be suffering from your friggin problems in life, then what do you expect from me except a "IT SUCKS TO BE YOU"

ac

Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:18 pm

Pinemikey, you're too often OOT, or even rude, like here.
Please, keep smiling to the people, and try to help.
He's right, camera database is not updated, or it is erratically. Means useless anyway.
If they are not able to do it (no time, urgent problems to deal with), they could consider asking for help.

ac

pinemikey

Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:11 pm

I tried my best to be polite, pal. It was HIS choice to lash out.

Next time, read ALL the posts not just the ones you want to agree with.

ac

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:15 pm

You'll never change pinemikey. It is useless to reply to you. You don't read and listen.
It has just one one good effect, it is to bump the thread !
Camera database is abandoned or, at least, erratically treated.

pinemikey

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:19 am

ac wrote:You'll never change pinemikey. It is useless to reply to you. You don't read and listen.
It has just one one good effect, it is to bump the thread !
Camera database is abandoned or, at least, erratically treated.

and YOU continually over exaggerate YOUR problems. There's no problem with my comprehension skills, my son. The OP can't get his Panasonic camera added to the list. I noted that the camera I had WAS added to the list and the database seems to be updated quite often. He then proceeded to shit on me. His frustration gives him no right to crap on me. So he got back what he deserved. You on the otherhand, are just a what you are.

If you think bumping this thread up to the top helps you out, by all means, knock yourself out.

zackiedawg

Post Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:38 pm

Just as an update, I sent my 4th e-mail request to cameras@pbase.com as recommended. First request was in November 2009. No responses or replies to those e-mails, and my requested camera not added to the Sony camera list. I noted the other roughly 9 cameras missing from this manufacturer - one camera has been added to the list since 2008, while 10+ models have debuted since. Though my priority remains to try to get my camera (DSLR-A550) added to the list as I've got now many hundreds of photos uploaded from it.

I do notice the camera list gets updated more frequently for certain models/companies, and not so much with others. This year was the first I've ever had the problem with the Sony list, as previous to 2009, all my cameras had been added to the list within a few weeks of their debuts.

dougj

Post Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:04 pm

The Panasonic FZ35/FZ38 was just added.

zackiedawg

Post Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:26 pm

Congratulations! If I could just get my DSLR-A550 in there, that would be enough for me.

Board index PBase Feature Requests Joining the choir for camera list update