Board index PBase Feature Requests Your Favorite Artists

Feature Requests

Your Favorite Artists

Request changes or modifications.
oakvilleonca

Your Favorite Artists

Post Sun May 09, 2004 11:27 am

As a new member, I use My Favorite Artisits a lot. One improvement would be to add a column to the table called Comments. This would help to identify the particular reason an artist was selected or type of equipment. locale or....
John

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun May 09, 2004 12:42 pm

hi.
good idea. could be useful. will keep it in mind.

other plans for the whole favorites thing...

with the new concept of a Usergroup which went online today, we'll be able to do more interesting things with favorites.
a usergroup is simply a list of users just like favorites are.
but you can have any number of usergroups.

so for example you could have a usergroup for family, one for people with the same kind of camera, one for people whose photos you like.

besides being able to give members of a usergroup access to certain galleries, other functions will arise.

i plan to redo the favorites page so that you could choose which usergroup to show recent galleries from. (also plan to make it faster, it's too slow now)

also usergroups can be marked "published" or not. if you have a usergroup marked public, then other people can see the list which could have lots of uses.

-slug

srijith

Post Mon May 10, 2004 12:41 pm

slug wrote:
also usergroups can be marked "published" or not. if you have a usergroup marked public, then other people can see the list which could have lots of uses.

-slug

Yes yes yes....

slug
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue May 11, 2004 10:21 am

just finished converting the favorites list from the old way to the new way which stores your favorites as a Usergroup.

the old favorites interface is still the same, but now if you go to http://www.pbase.com/usergroup you'll see you have a group called **favorites

any **groups will be for special purposes like favorites.
another i can think of right now is a **blacklist group where you could maintain a list of users that could be blocked from things like commenting on your galleries.

more importantly, the favorites page should be very fast now even if you have hundreds.

by default all **favorites groups are marked non-public. although there's no way yet to actually view somebody else's public usergroup, there will be, so if you would like your list available, you could set the public_flag and update the group.

later on i would like to add a Shared option to usergroups which would mean other people could use your usergroup without actually having to copy it.
this would be useful for cases where one person maintains a list of members to some club, and other people could use that list to give grant access to one of their own galleries.
then if the maintainer of the list added new members, the other users of the list wouldn't have to update anything to give the new members access.

-slug

srijith

Post Tue May 11, 2004 12:33 pm

great features, all of them slug. Way to go.

Board index PBase Feature Requests Your Favorite Artists