Board index PBase Feature Requests View Newest Post First

Feature Requests

View Newest Post First

Request changes or modifications.
dang

View Newest Post First

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:31 am

Not sure how others would feel about this, but for those of us that follow the forums regularly it would be nice to have an option to reverse the order of comments in forum threads. Seems I'm always scrolling... I know there's lots of things on the burner, but hopefully this can be added to the list.
Thanks in advance,
tom

pinemikey

Re: View Newest Post First

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:33 am

Seems like a reasonable request, Tom. Every forum I've ever seen has this feature.

However, on another track there's another feature almost every forum has and I hope these ones NEVER get....and that is animated avatars...or any personal avatars for that matter. There's a whole mindless subgroup of humanity obsessed with those worthless things.

dang

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:42 am

pinemikey wrote:Seems like a reasonable request, Tom. Every forum I've ever seen has this feature.

However, on another track there's another feature almost every forum has and I hope these ones NEVER get....and that is animated avatars...or any personal avatars for that matter. There's a whole mindless subgroup of humanity obsessed with those worthless things.

I agree. We're able to add links, and that's plenty enough I feel. Avatars can be really distracting.

dougj

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:47 am

Agree, the option to order posts by first/last is usually a feature in forum software, it might not be turned on here.

FireFox and Adblock Plus work wonders to prevent images in avatars and sig lines, along with any other images, ads, etc. on web pages.

nooutlet
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:56 am

You needn't worry that I'll add avatars abilities to this forum(a significant number of people have suggested keeping avatars out) but I'll defend their use cause I personally like them when they aren't overly annoying. The nice thing about avatars is that you can tell without reading who is saying what. That type of association(a picture associated with a message as opposed to a word associated with a message) seems to stick in my memory better too.

Oh, and I'll look into the option of adding the option of displaying posts most recent first.
Update: Okay, it already existed. Click "Settings" at the top. You should be in the "Board Preferences" tab. Click the sub-menu button labeled "Edit display options". The setting is called "Display post order direction". You'll want it set to Descending.

NoOutlet

dougj

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:24 am

Thanks NoOutlet - works very well :mrgreen:

Personally I'm not big on avatars, but I know a lot of folks like them so I go with the flow. I noticed in the settings there is an option for displaying avatars, so everyone can be happy should you decide to enable this.

akmc_in_au

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:26 am

pinemikey wrote:However, on another track there's another feature almost every forum has and I hope these ones NEVER get....and that is animated avatars...or any personal avatars for that matter. There's a whole mindless subgroup of humanity obsessed with those worthless things.

Try the posts where 95% of the content is made up of a seemingly random collection of smileys.

(Not that I'm opposed to smileys in principle; sometimes it's better to have 1 smiley than a Tolstoy chapter to clarify meaning, and they can also be funny or entertaining if used well. But when they outnumber the alphanumeric characters of a post, I can't help but feel that someone needs a remedial course in communication skills.)

dang

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:04 pm

nooutlet wrote:
Oh, and I'll look into the option of adding the option of displaying posts most recent first.
Update: Okay, it already existed. Click "Settings" at the top. You should be in the "Board Preferences" tab. Click the sub-menu button labeled "Edit display options". The setting is called "Display post order direction". You'll want it set to Descending.

NoOutlet

Thanks!
I need to look through all the forum options again, I missed it. Wish I'd asked before carpal tunnel syndrome set in! :lol:

Board index PBase Feature Requests View Newest Post First