Board index PBase Feature Requests Image size

Feature Requests

Image size

Request changes or modifications.
hhhusen

Image size

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:14 am

How do you reduce your Original to aprox. 1200x800 pixels? When I upload, I get the small, medium, large, and original. My large is about 800x500, but my original jumps to 4368x2912 pixels and fills the entire page and you have to scroll to view all of the picture. But others have originals that ca. fill 1200x800 pixels. So - how do I get my 4368x2912 pixels reduced to approx. 1200x800? Where do I go wrong in the uploading? It doesn't help to "Recompress originals". It seems Pbase automatically rezize to small, medium, and large photo size (dimensions), but when it comes to original, the photo is blown up so it fills 3-4 screens. Plese help me!!

HH

akmc_in_au

Re: Image size

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:25 am

hhhusen wrote:How do you reduce your Original to aprox. 1200x800 pixels? When I upload, I get the small, medium, large, and original. My large is about 800x500, but my original jumps to 4368x2912 pixels and fills the entire page and you have to scroll to view all of the picture. But others have originals that ca. fill 1200x800 pixels. So - how do I get my 4368x2912 pixels reduced to approx. 1200x800? Where do I go wrong in the uploading? It doesn't help to "Recompress originals". It seems Pbase automatically rezize to small, medium, and large photo size (dimensions), but when it comes to original, the photo is blown up so it fills 3-4 screens. Plese help me!!
HH

A PBase "Large" image is, by definition, 800 pixels on the long edge. "Original" is whatever size you uploaded.

"Compressing" the images via the PBase user interface doesn't change the size in pixels of the images, it only changes the size of the files on disk by using a compression algorithm. As it explains in your gallery edit page "You can choose to recompress your originals. This maintains the image dimensions, but will likely reduce the file size of the image through higher compression with little loss in quality."

Use this at your own risk. Better still, don't use it at all.

You can also choose to delete your originals which will save you disk space on PBase, but will leave you with only the Large (800 pixel), Medium (400 pixel, from memory) and Small size, all of which have been compressed by PBase's own algorithms. Which, as has been mentioned in these forums in the past, are not optimal.

To get a 1200 pixel wide image, you need to reduce it BEFORE you load it. To do that you need to use an image editing program like Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, or Paint Shop Pro. All of these contain good reduction algorithms, and when you get used to them you can also sharpen up the images a little bit after reducing them. (You WILL lose sharpness going from 4368 pixels to 1200; that's simply unavoidable. But for screen displays, it won't make a HUGE difference.)

hhhusen

Re: Image size

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:41 am

Thank you for your very informative answer! I'll try and rezize in Elements 6.0 and see how it looks like after uploading - otherwise I'll return to this site!

hh

Board index PBase Feature Requests Image size