Board index PBase Feature Requests Rotating Thumbnails for Images Galleries

Feature Requests

Rotating Thumbnails for Images Galleries

Request changes or modifications.
rollosphotos

Rotating Thumbnails for Images Galleries

Post Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:45 pm

/
Last edited by rollosphotos on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

djwixx

Re: Rotating Thumbnails for Images Galleries

Post Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:26 am

rollosphotos wrote:I would also like to see the "Right click controversy" have its own forum. It's unbelievable how often this comes up!

In what sense? Do you advocate it or consider it a waste of effort like most other people?

A howto for disabling right click is at http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/tipsntricks but I personally think it's not worth the effort.

rollosphotos

Post Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:15 am

/
Last edited by rollosphotos on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

dang

Post Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:41 am

A howto for disabling right click is at http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/tipsntricks

Actually, this was a "java" related code which doesn't work any longer. There's an html version available though (original thread here: viewtopic.php?t=35996&highlight=disable+right+click)
Code: Select all
<BODY onContextMenu='alert("Thanks for viewing my gallery, but these images are copyrighted. To inquire about usage, please email.");return false;'>

It's necessary to place the code in the "tech notes" area of every photo (It doesn't affect the exif). I wouldn't suggest adding it to the gallery description area, since there's little reason to protect small thumbnails, and it will keep anyone using right click to navigate unable to do so. All of this, and more, has been discussed numerous times and not worth re-debating. A person either wants it, or not. It's not suggesting everyone is stealing, but instead, doing anything possible to slow down the few who do. I'm personally tired of tracking images posted in blogs & yourspace asking for removal. If they ask before hand, it's different. But, since each thread describing how to disable makes it less usable for those wanting it, why make it easier to learn with an entire forum?

Rotating thumbnails might be nice, if we could control it's use. Once galleries become so large there's a dozen pages, it would indeed be helpful. I tend to remove older photos to an achieve gallery, to keep the size down. Viewing stats has sadly shown the majority of Pbase users usually view only a few photos, how many bugs does a person need to see at one time? And most of those who view deeper into galleries have limits (except in cases with much better images than I have), which explains older images having less hits. Thus, my reasoning to replace older images with newer, better shots when taken. But any added feature is a bonus, and would be great for better photographers hosting here.

djwixx

Post Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:18 pm

rollosphotos wrote:It's just like anything else... When you drive your car to the grocery store you don't know if someone will steal it! It's the same with the photos. We can't live our lives in fear of having everything stolen from us. Did you have any thoughts on the rotating images?

regards,
Christina

I have to be honest and say I wasn't sure what you meant by rotating thumbnails. If you mean changing the order of the gallery so different shots appear at the top of the gallery then there are numerous options within the sequencing option for a gallery, but it has to be done manually. It would be nice to be able to set the random option and know that each time a page is loaded the display is random, but I believe it's a one off, and one it's been randomized the same random order is kept.

I personally have a tendency to set the order I want for the images and want it kept that way, but that's just me.

Picslens is on the way so that should give viewers different options.

rollosphotos

Post Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:04 pm

/
Last edited by rollosphotos on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

dang

Post Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:11 pm

To go back to the other question, here's another thread which is reason why some prefer doing whats possible (even if little)
to protect their work: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37137

soenda

Post Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:28 pm

Rotating thumbnails would be a deterrent for me as a frequent visitor to other members' galleries.

I visit a fair number of Pbase members' new posts regularly. I like to follow their most recent posts and see the progression of their work. It gets difficult enough to know what's new when people don't follow a regular pattern of adding new photos at the beginning or end of their galleries. If the thumbnails were in random rotating order, it would be next to impossible to find the newer posts without knowing their work by heart or looking at every shot each time.

I do like the random shots that appear on members' profile pages. That offers a way to sample their older photos, one I often use. But having to hunt through the galleries themselves for current additions would discourage my regular visits and comments.

Board index PBase Feature Requests Rotating Thumbnails for Images Galleries