Board index PBase Feature Requests Provide voting statistics for images and galleries

Feature Requests

Provide voting statistics for images and galleries

Request changes or modifications.
billinchapelhill

Provide voting statistics for images and galleries

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:14 pm

Why can't pBase take over and improve the wonderful spreadsheet that John Hastings has provided at http://homepages.tesco.net/jjh/PBase_popular_images/? As time goes on his sheet does not get updated as often.

To improve his work would be to add vote totals for the galleries as well. A link could be provided from the member profile page.

bobfloyd

Re: Provide voting statistics for images and galleries

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:01 pm

I have suggested in the past that simply adding another column to the Gallery Edit page for votes would be an excellent way to solve this. There is already a column for "Views". Just add another column right next to that for "Votes". Maybe I am wrong but most of the coding for that should already be done for the "Views" column. Copy it and redirect to the database for voting. Of course, things are almost never as easy as they sound but surely it can't be too much more difficult than I imagine...

billinchapelhill

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:52 pm

Bob. I would take your recommendation a step further and also add a comment count column as well. Both columns would assist pBasers greatly in editing and managing their galleries.

I continue to recommend that John's summary spreadsheet statisitcs should be internalized as it provides a voting summary of all images and galleries.

bobfloyd

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:58 pm

billinchapelhill wrote:I continue to recommend that John's summary spreadsheet statisitcs should be internalized as it provides a voting summary of all images and galleries.

I like John's spreadsheet, don't get me wrong, but it only shows us data for photos currently IN the pop galleries. Any photo with less than 5 votes drops off that spread sheet in time and can no longer be tracked in any active way. I know the data is stored somewhere though because when a photo for 4 votes from a year ago suddenly gets a 5th vote it shows up on the All Time list. I would like a way to access that data so while I would like John's spreadsheet internalized, I would also like it expanded on to include all the data being stored on the subject and not just the data being used to generate the current pop galleries.

billinchapelhill

Post Thu May 01, 2008 3:03 pm

Well John has posted the following news about why there have been so few updates.

"Hi Guys,

My index building service is struggling due to the large and increasing number of popular entries. My web scraping approach to data gathering is no longer viable.

You should expect future updates no more than once per month. I expect that within a few months updates will not be practical at all.

I’ll post again before closing the service.

Regards,

John Hastings"
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33628

Unless pBase takes over this popular feature, this ability to track votes will disappear soon.

Thanks so much to John for providing this service for so long.

Board index PBase Feature Requests Provide voting statistics for images and galleries