Board index PBase Feature Requests Should the Large / Default image size be increased?

Feature Requests

Should the Large / Default image size be increased?

Request changes or modifications.

Should the default / Large image size be changed, with corresponding changes to Medium and Small?

I never put up images larger than 800 pixels, so I'm not fussed.
21%
I want 800 to remain as the default/large, even if it means that my larger images appear resized down when casual viewers land on them.
8%
I want 1000 or 1024 to be the default to increase the number of casual viewers seeing my images the way I intended, even though some may have to scroll.
26%
I want 1200 or 1280 to be the Large / Default for that reason.
13%
I want 1600 to be the Large / Default for that reason.
3%
I just want to be able to specify which size appears when viewers look at any given image.
11%
I want the Original to be the default for all of my images.
18%
Hey Alan, you forgot to add an option that I want! See my post below.
No votes

Total votes : 38

akmc_in_au

Should the Large / Default image size be increased?

Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:00 pm

OK folks, the question of how to prevent pBase from displaying resized images is one which has been asked (in various forms) many times in the past.

One partial solution to the problem is to increase the number of pixels that an image needs to be before the resizing kicks in. This would allow a greater number of images to display in their Original, undistorted size.

So if you have feelings about this one way or the other, please vote early and vote often!

sdommin

Stats

Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:32 pm

For what it's worth, here are the StatCounter statistics for the last 500 hits on my PBase site. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Admin won't just bump up the limit to 1024. Why are they fighting this? Could someone explain to me (a non-programmer) how the world would come to an end if all of a sudden the limit was increased?

flemmingbo

Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:25 pm

I am now in the business of selling photos and 800 pixels is wide enough for me, I only post wide panoramas wider than that (usually 1000 pixels wide). Any wider than 800 pixels and the pictures become too "useable" for prints, websites etc. meaning that someone might "borrow" my work instead of buying it. (Automatic watermarking would be an outstanding feature to add!!!!)

Btw a 1024 pixels wide image is actually too wide for a 1024 pixel screen! The browser eats some pixel real estate etc. so unless you want a horizontal scrollbar you have to stop at about 1000 pixels or so, maybe less.

I would however love an option to set the original size as default for my viewers on just these few panoramas I post larger than 800 pixels. As it is now I do a big fat bold text with link to original urging my viewers to click to go to original size.

regards,

Flemming
Flemming Bo Jensen Photography
Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/flemmingbo
My photography blog: http://flemmingbo.wordpress.com

sdommin

Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:53 pm

flemmingbo wrote:I am now in the business of selling photos and 800 pixels is wide enough for me, I only post wide panoramas wider than that (usually 1000 pixels wide). Any wider than 800 pixels and the pictures become too "useable" for prints, websites etc. meaning that someone might "borrow" my work instead of buying it.
Flemming

I think we're having a misunderstanding here. Maybe it's me. What we're talking about is the point at which PBase will automatically shrink your photos and cause a loss of sharpness to the viewer. Right now the limit is 800 pixels. If you post a picture, say, 900 pixels wide, PBase will shrink it down so it looks as if you over-compressed a JPG image. A viewer can see the original, sharp, image by clicking on "original", by why should he have to? This whole discussion has no effect on whether or not you feel someone might try to steal your images - in fact, it hurts your sales, because when someone clicks on one of your 1000 pixel panoramas, they see a fuzzy, overcompressed image. Who wants to buy that? Do you intend for your panoramas to be of lesser quality than they are?

flemmingbo

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:51 am

sdommin wrote:
flemmingbo wrote:I am now in the business of selling photos and 800 pixels is wide enough for me, I only post wide panoramas wider than that (usually 1000 pixels wide). Any wider than 800 pixels and the pictures become too "useable" for prints, websites etc. meaning that someone might "borrow" my work instead of buying it.
Flemming

I think we're having a misunderstanding here. Maybe it's me. What we're talking about is the point at which PBase will automatically shrink your photos and cause a loss of sharpness to the viewer. Right now the limit is 800 pixels. If you post a picture, say, 900 pixels wide, PBase will shrink it down so it looks as if you over-compressed a JPG image. A viewer can see the original, sharp, image by clicking on "original", by why should he have to? This whole discussion has no effect on whether or not you feel someone might try to steal your images - in fact, it hurts your sales, because when someone clicks on one of your 1000 pixel panoramas, they see a fuzzy, overcompressed image. Who wants to buy that? Do you intend for your panoramas to be of lesser quality than they are?

Hi ! No I think we understand each other. I am in general alright with the limit being 800 pixels. I would however like an option to set 'original' as default in those few cases where I upload larger than 800 pixels.

You have a point though, raising the general 'limit' to 1000 pixels would also accomplish what I'm looking for as well - so I can certainly support that too.

regards,

Flemming
Flemming Bo Jensen Photography
Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/flemmingbo
My photography blog: http://flemmingbo.wordpress.com

alangrant

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:43 am

How would vertically oriented images be treated? At the moment "large" is defined as 800 pixels on the larger side, regardless of which side is larger. Arguably 800 pixels is already too high for this dimension as people with 1024x768 monitors have to scroll a little; at 1000 pixels the problem would be much worse as a large chunk of the image would be hidden. It looks to me that any change would have to differentiate between dimensions.
Alan
Travel Photos - http://www.pbase.com/alangrant
Balkanology: Explore Southeast Europe - http://www.balkanology.com/

jlei77

Re: Should the Large / Default image size be increased?

Post Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:42 am

I would like to see the limit for "large"to increase to 1000. In high resolution setting of monitor these days, 800pix wide is really small. People can still upload 800pix max if they want.

Board index PBase Feature Requests Should the Large / Default image size be increased?